external lead to plastic service pipe leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

to cut a long story short i have a leak on the plastic joint between the water meter and my lead service pipe.

I want to get an idea of who is responsible for fixing this, i had to dig it up as the affinity guys who turned up just opened the meter cover and said "nah mate not leaking there".
I had my doubts as the area was damp, so i dug it up myself and found the following.

//media.diynot.com/112000_111637_61212_96331867_thumb.jpg

it is leaking from the big black plastic thing that looks pushed over the lead pipe, i thought that when they fit these they should be back filling the area with sand or pea shingle , is this the case ? as this was just the old clay.

so my questions are the following.

1 - as they actually fit this joint is it them who is supposed to fix it ?

2 - does this look like the correct joint.

3 general opinion and advice.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

kind regards

Mark

Sponsored Links
First of all for reference see:
http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/consumerissues/rightsresponsibilities/supplypipes/

Basically the pipe on your property is yours to repair, the pipe beyond the boundary is the water authority and if that is where the meter is technically you are naughty for digging it up!

The connections to lead use large plastic compression fittings with a liner insert pushed into the lead pipe for support. The fitting shown looks the right thing. Those connections are made by the water authority so I would point the finger at them! Even a meter installed on your property would belong to the water authority and they are responsible for it including the connections they use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back