External lighting cable query and general query.

Ok, checked a few thinks, cable is 2.5mm stuff.

Is it easy to switch over a breaker something that requires an electrician (do they need to test it once in place etc)?

Can I check on my other MCBs as I'm worried they are incorrect (previous house owner had them in) - the order is

Main wylex box
Main on/off
32A - cooker
32A - which runs to single socket using single cable in breakfast room (used to run to part of kitchen)
32A - Downstairs socket ring main (5 sockets)
32A - Upstairs socket ring main (5 sockets)
6A - Light downstairs ring (6 lights)
6A - Lighting upstairs ring (5 l;ghts)
16A - Heating

Seprate wylex box
on/off
32A - kitchen ring
20A - kitchen oven

P.S. Thanks all, learning quite alot here!

Sponsored Links
Or 1.5mm² Hi-Tuf.
Doesn't need special glands like SWA, you can just use stuffing glands. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HT1dot5slash3.html[/QUOTE]

I've had two different electricians in who have said different things on this whole process - the first says I can go from the breakfast room and the other says I can't. The first one was going to use a RCD and the other one wasn't. The first one was going to use 'pirelli' wire, which I'm still not sure exactly what that is and the other I've just figured out was going to use this stuff http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FT1dot5slash2R.html

Is that firetuf stuff ok to use?

Starting to wonder if I should go standard twin and earth and trunking.

Hi there, I want to add two security lights round the back of my house.

I initially went to an electrician because I wasn't sure if it was Part P and erred on the side of caution (now realised it doesn't require any Part P certification as can be run off existing circuit).
Thanks

Hi

I thought any work on outside circuits/lights came under Part P.

Is that not right?

Cheers

G

Sponsored Links
Ok - got somewhat distracted and didn't get round to doing this, but have a few days off coming up so hoping to get it up.

Would someone mind pointing out the things that I am no doubt forgetting in my plan as its been a couple of years since I've done a n:

1) change breaker to 20A or 16A (only runs fridge, stereo and will run external lights)
2) run some standard 2.5mm from my standard socket to the LINE terminals of a switched rcd like http://www.screwfix.com/prods/83049/Electrical-Supplies/RCDs/Volex-13A-RCD-FCU
3) change fuse to 3A
4) run 1.5mm hituf cable connected to the LOAD side except for earth which connects to same earth as LINE side.
5) is there anything additional I need to do with the hituf cable?
6) Run the hituf to the first light.
7) run a cable from the first light to the second light.
8 ) Now if I do that then I'll need about 5m of wire, I might be being very stupid, but the sparky I had who came to quote double that to 10m to make a loop. Do I need to double it?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back