External Maxtor storage device

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just need a bit of advice! My Maxtor 3200 external hard drive is used as my principle back-up to my Vista PC. It all works fine. Trouble is I can't fathom out what is backed-up! Clicking on the maxtor I see the latest back-up icon. Click on that and I see a dozen other folders of previous back-ups. Click on the latest one and I see five more back-up files.click on any one of them and I see a folder C (main PC hard drive). click on that and I see either 'Users'. 'Program files'. click on that and I get more small files etc etc. None of it is what I want. I just want all my Pictures/correspondence etc copied and accessed easily. Why doesn't it do this? :cry:

bill

Sponsored Links
What did you select to backup when you originally set it up? If you continue to navigate down the "Users" path, you will probably find them there, but it sounds like you are backing up too much.

What backup application are you using?

I assume you are using some form of backup programme and maybe compression.

I've tried these methods and always found some problem or other.

All I do now is a straight copy of the "My Documents" folder on to an external hard disc. You can then see what you have and then easily extract any information you need very easily. Each back up just overwrites the last

Sponsored Links
I have the Maxtor Shared storage II and it did come with configurable software for auto back-up. However I have never used it to auto back-up. I have selected what I want to back-up and dragged and dropped.

I personally feel to leave any drive switched on 24/7 to auto back-up means if there is something which goes wrong with a system it could also effect the back-up drive.

So for back-up I use a Click Free drive and just plug it in once a month to back-up important data. The fact it spends most of it's life without power and is not connected to PC reduces the chance that any power surge will take it out.

Back