External oil boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to install an external oil boiler in an old out door store cupboard? This model does not have a sealed flue available, but then because the space only has the boiler inside it and is not air tight, is this important? I could even replace the door with a louvred door if that would make a difference?

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Flueing options on external boilers are normally very limited.
Make of boiler you want to use and a picture and sketch of what you intend would be useful.

The 'cupboard/store' is shown in the attached and the boiler is Grant vortex pro 36.

Whilst the store is obviously enclosed but a cold, ventilated space, is it still considered and internal space. Would installing a door of louvres change anything?

Thank you

20220429_104833.jpg

Attachments

• 20220429_104833.jpg
    20220429_104833.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
Think you will struggle to get a external Grant in there
Maybe look at the Grant green flue system that can be fitted to external boilers it's twin walled .
You would probably have to relocate condensate trap if you had no access to rear of boiler.
Certainly needs a dedicated air supply tho louvered door probably overkill!
Probably the simple solution is to put a slab down and have boiler outside.

Last edited:
I was looking into that. The boiler is about 650mm wide I think, that cupboard is 850mm internal. I am aware of the pipes that stick out either side, if the installer can fit these so they don't protrude too much I assume it'll be okay, but need the installer to confirm this.

The condensate is a flexible pipe I think, where to have it drain into is another issue.

Certainly needs a dedicated air supply tho louvered door probably overkill!
Could this just be a largeish vent in the door?

Probably the simple solution is to put a slab down and have boiler outside
Will look into this but would have to be about 4m out, behind the shed so it's out the way and not am eyesore

Where it is now, out of the way in a space we don't need. The new boiler is a year old and free. So a good price

As the boiler is that price you probably wont mind hacking it about a bit.
Relocate condensate trap externally (grant make longer hoses)
Loose existing flue cut a bigger hole in right hand panel get a low level flue kit grant number ez200b maybe need a extension x200s .
Cut hole in external wall job done.
Don't forget decent system filter and remote fire valve.

Relocate condensate trap externally (grant make longer hoses)

Will do
Loose existing flue cut a bigger hole in right hand panel get a low level flue kit grant number ez200b maybe need a extension x200s .

There's already a flue exiting at high level so I'll try to use the existing hole. The oil tank is also on the other of the brick wall so I'd like to stay above.
Don't forget decent system filter and remote fire valve.

Sound like very good ideas

Thanks for all your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back