External Power For Chistmas Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I was thinking of buying one of these key opeated MK external power pkugs for the christmas lights - nothing big just one light really

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterseal...qid=1506428373&sr=8-1&keywords=masterseal+key

I have power sockets directly opposite on the internal wall (not spurred in any way) so I was hoping to take the backing plate off one of the sockets inside the house and drill directly to the outside and into the back of one of these. The only run of cable is from the inside house socket through the wall to the inside of the new socket outside - so hardly anything

So would using using 2.5mm T&E cable be the way to go?? The cable wont be visible anywhere

The house is protected by an RCD also

I know its notifiable but just wanted to see what people think - may just put cable out of the window for christmas instead!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you actually need key operated switch? A double outside socket with normal switches is much cheaper.
Apart from that it is OK. Run silicon sealer round the socket case where it meets the wall so water won't run down the back.

It is in some parts of here:

screenshot_1411.jpg

Sponsored Links
I have power sockets directly opposite on the internal wall

I would mount a 20A DP switch beside the power sockets and drill through the back of the switch to outside. The DP switch means you can totally isolate the external elctrics in the event of a fault that trips the house RCD. It also saves the cost of a key switch, so you can use a standard socket in weatherproof enclosure.

Thanks all - yeh not sure if I do need the key operated part to be honest - its on a busy road but its not as if someone gonna rock up and plug in easily

We have three double sockets on the inside - the missus changed mind of where TV was going after we had electrics done so now those sockets are visible - I didnt want to put another visible switch next to them if I could help it as three doubles is a bot over the top as it is!

Saying that - I could just convert one of those doubles couldnt I???

I could just convert one of those doubles couldnt I???
Yes you could use grid switch components. You would need a 3 gang grid and cover plate, one 20A DP grid switch and two grid switch blanks

I would mount a 20A DP switch beside the power sockets and drill through the back of the switch to outside. The DP switch means you can totally isolate the external elctrics in the event of a fault that trips the house RCD. It also saves the cost of a key switch, so you can use a standard socket in weatherproof enclosure.

In practice as long as you seal the back box wall interface as I suggested it is unlikely you will get such a fault. I've had an outside socket for over 12 years now and never had the RCD trip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back