EXTERNAL RENDER BROKEN AWAY - Do I need damp proofing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Just moved into a new house which is an old terraced house built around late 1800s. There is plenty of work to get done on it not least the front rendering. The previous owners provided an invoice for work carried out in 2015 for damp proofing, pointing rendering the front of the house at the bottom of the wall.

However, around most of the front of the house, the render has come away exposing the brickwork which in places looks quite damp (I am yet to notice any rising damp inside) which makes me question whether it was done at all?

Now I am an absolute novice but on inspection, I can't see any DPC. What do you think?

Finally, how serious is having exposed brick? Is this something that I should think about getting fixed ASAP?

Cheers folks

miwi1ii

Sponsored Links
What is under the render.....

Because people only render a brick house for one reason.

Brick, here are some pics.

Attachments

• PXL_20220113_163742089.jpg
    PXL_20220113_163742089.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 108
  • PXL_20220113_163753185.jpg
    PXL_20220113_163753185.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 113
  • PXL_20220113_163910745.jpg
    PXL_20220113_163910745.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 97
I dont see any signs of an injected DPC or a more traditional DPC in a mortar bed?
Any Remedial work done seven years ago should still have a warranty of some sort?
Your render should have come to a stop with a BellCast.

It would help if you posted pics showing more (higher up) of the bay, and the surrounding walls?
And a pic of the interior of the bay at skirting level?
I assume that you've got a suspended floor behind the bay but I dont see any air bricks?
Perhaps the pebbles are are form of a French Drain that was installed to deal with previous damp penetration?

Is the wall a solid wall or a cavity wall?
If you scrape the mortar beds you might find some kind of a DPC?

Sponsored Links
bear in mind that render does not cure damp. It sometimes hides it for long enough to sell the house.

the stones against the house may well have been put over/in a damp patch.

Water beside a house often comes from broken drains

stand back and take some wider pics, show all pipes, drains, manhole covers, gutters and downpipes

do not allow anybody who sells silicone injections near your house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back