18 Jan 2019
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I am having some trouble trying to figure out and eventually design the right width for an external security metal gate for a student housing complex.

The UK building regulations which I am looking into do not seem to particularly indicate the allowed clearance so that ambulances and lorries are able to pass all the way through - or at least I am unable to find anything related.

So what would the minimum width have to be for such a gate?

All ideas welcome! Let me know whether you need any more help to figure it out (sketches, drawings etc).


Sponsored Links
so that ambulances and lorries
and fire appliances ?

Ask at the local fire station for their advice about the width of the gate necessary for their appliances to gain entry to the complex. If a fire appliance can get in then so shoud an ambulance.
Hey bernardgreen!

Thank you for the rapid reply. Normally these things are supposedly found inside the UK building regulations manuals; however I cannot find anything. Do you have any good online sources to point me towards?


Sponsored Links
Measure the road the thing will drive down to get to the gate. Divide it by 2.
Approved Document B ,Section 16,Table 20 - Typical fire and rescue service vehicle access -states minimum width of road 3.7m, minimum width of gateway 3.1m. Although it does add that you should check with Building Control in your area as some fire services have appliances of different sizes.
ps you can view Bld regs approved documents on the Planning Portal or LABC websites.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links