External Siren back up battery lifespan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

As the title suggests, how long should the battery back up in an external alarm siren last?

I installed the alarm system myself in 1999 and I've regularly changed the panel back up battery every 4 to 5 years, but the bell box battery has never been changed.

System is working well atm. Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
How do you know that the external bell is working correctly?

How did you test it?

ps Well done with the panel battery, spot on.

Remove power to bell box at panel end .... 1 Does it ring ok outside ? 2 Sound like a chirping bird ? 3 No sound ?
If it sounds ok ...leave it
If not ....either don't worry about it or replace the whole bell box as the battery will cost half of a new bellbox

Thanks chaps!

Europlex, the external siren triggers ok under alarm conditions, so I'm assuming it's ok?

sparkymarka, good shout. I'll give that a try when I'm next at the property.

The alarm system is fitted to our first house which we are renting out. Old tenant has moved out, new tenant moves in next week. Just getting some jobs done before they move in, one if them is testing the alarm system.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Remove power to bell box at panel end .... 1 Does it ring ok outside ? 2 Sound like a chirping bird ? 3 No sound ?
If not ....either don't worry about it or replace the whole bell box as the battery will cost half of a new bellbox

Surely this will on prove that the battery will last for 2-3 seconds and not a minimum of 15 minutes.

Not much of a test imo. If the bell box cable gets cut the battery could only last a minute or so. Who knows.

Did I specify a time ? Anyway if it's a diy ( grade1 sytem ) it's not required !

How do you think SAs are tested then? 3 alarm engs in the same street, all 3 SAs being left until the batteries run down?

steveo44 tell us please, how do you test them then?

By the way experience also goes a long way during the testing.

How do you think SAs are tested then? 3 alarm engs in the same street, all 3 SAs being left until the batteries run down?

steveo44 tell us please, how do you test them then?

By the way experience also goes a long way during the testing.

Can you please inform us on how to test the backup battery correctly or do you just blag it and hope for the best.

I suspect you have no idea how long the battery will actually last for just that it did work for the few seconds that you tested it.

Last edited:
Can you please inform us on how to test the backup battery correctly or do you just blag it and hope for the best.

I suspect you have no idea how long the battery will actually last for just that it did work for the few seconds that you tested it.

Still waiting on this... :sneaky:

Think we are waiting for you answer "mr 3 thanks " or nobody really cares !

I have no answer! I am a Diy enthusiast. I am looking for an answer from a professional security installer or electrician like yourself. If you do not know how to test the backup battery then just say so.

I can only quote Socrates here:

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”

Yes I know ! with a battery tester ...just wondered if you knew or wanted to spend £170 tool to test such items ?

Yes I know ! with a battery tester ...just wondered if you knew or wanted to spend £170 tool to test such items ?

Make your mind up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back