External wall cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to Sandtex the outside of my bungalow but there is a - according to a very old surveyor's report - 'fracture to an external wall caused by thermal movement rather than structural movement'. It is a very very narrow crack about three feet high, and in the past I have channeled out a 'v' shape and filled it with concrete but it has appeared again. Before I paint, is there anything I could repair this crack with so that it does not appear again? It is vertical, underneath a window and it is so narrow I can't even get a pin in the crack. Thank you for any help.

Sponsored Links
Without knowing the full background of the crack, I would say that is where the building is going to re-crack.

The best thing in my opinion to do is make it a movement joint. Make a vertical cut along the position of the crack and fill with coloured mastic.

If your stripping the old render first, then see if you can get some de-bonded wall ties into the brick either side of the movement joint so as the two sides of the joint still stay in line with each other, but can expand and contract with the seasons.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back