External wood paint

Unless you are a tradesman who just wants to get the job done fast and for it to look ok for a couple of years.

It might not have been your intention but it is the way it come across. I genuinely want my work to last as long a possible. I use products that are difficult to work with, eg epoxy resins rather than 2K filler, for no reason other than wanting to ensure longevity.

Sponsored Links
It might not have been your intention but it is the way it come across. I genuinely want my work to last as long a possible. I use products that are difficult to work with, eg epoxy resins rather than 2K filler, for no reason other than wanting to ensure longevity.

I'm sorry if it came across that way to you. I'd also like to add that I don't think linseed paint is some kind of silver bullet/wonder product without any drawbacks. Just that it is (in my view, and for good reason I think) the best product currently available for painting exterior joinery, and the only one I would use for windows.

Fair enough TomHD.

You experience of paints failing after 5 years however strikes me as possibly being more likely to be a case of poor prep rather than the paints per se.

I am currently doing interior work for a client but noticed that the poorly painted windows/sill were allowing water ingress. On closer inspection I discovered that JetCem had been used as a wood filler and that subsequent decorators had then used powder fillers and latterly other decorators had then applied 2 pack over over the failing substrates.

No paint would have "cured" the problems.

I tend to have loyal customers. I often return to their houses and discover that windows that I painted 8 or 9 years ago are still fine (bar the odd little expansion crack where rails meet styles).

I tend to have loyal customers. I often return to their houses and discover that windows that I painted 8 or 9 years ago are still fine (bar the odd little expansion crack where rails meet styles).
So to return to the question, if the OP is even still here, which type and brand of paint would you recommend for exterior woodwork?

Sponsored Links
So to return to the question, if the OP is even still here, which type and brand of paint would you recommend for exterior woodwork?

I use Dulux Trade Weather Shield (oil based). It isn't the easiest of paints to work with, you need to add quite a bit of Owatrol to help it flow.

Annoyingly, post 2010 VOC compliance, the primer has become water based and now requires two coats and a 16 hour wait before undercoating. Previously you could undercoat the solvent based primer after a couple of hours.

I then apply two undercoats and two coats of gloss.

I'm about to paint some new timber windows with trade Weathershield, and it never occurred to me to add Owatrol or Floetrol. Which product and in what quantity?

I am guessing that I add about 5% owatrol to both the UC and gloss. I also add a small amount of white spirit and terebene (to speed up drying). In very cold weather I add more owatrol until the paint flows nicely.

On very hot days, the primer will start drying on the brush. Although it is a water based primer, you will not be able to wash the brush clean- use cellulose thinners instead.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replies folks all decent info and suggestions.
i hadnt realised anyone responded initially as my notifications were not coming through.

I have used weathershield water based in the past on a couple of small sash frames with fairly good results would just like something that lasts a bit longer before needing a recoat

Reckon i might try somethin oil based this time round though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back