External wooden door sweating water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a panelled design wooden external front door. Last weekend i applied clear sealant around the edges of the 9 wooden panels on the outside and on the inside of the door as rain water had been blowing into the gaps around the edging of the panels.. Since then, the wooden panels on the inside of the door and other parts of the door on the inside have been sweating water and small dots of mould appear on the inside of the door every 2 days. Why do you think this is? Can someone please provide some advice? Thanks

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome Rkv74 :D :D :D

you door must be fully dry with a low moisture content[about 12 ish pecent] someone else will give you a better more accurate level

Condensation. Cold outside door exposed to the weather. Warm heated air on the inside. Ventilation, dehumidifier and or an outside porch will all make some difference as will not drying clothes on radiators etc.

I don't think it's anything to do with the moisture content of the wood itself. I think the 12% that big-all mentions is going to be low as moisture content for an outside door, but assuming the timber was properly seasoned in the first place it will find it's own level in the place it's fitted, and there is little you can really do about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back