Extortionate Bill.

When I owned a property 150 miles away from where I lived I got hold of a small, local property maintenance company and got them onboard for minor repairs. They flushed CH and serviced the boiler, fitted new trv’s and fixed a minor water leak as part of the renovations. After that I paid a small call out charge which included 30 minutes work, about £50. Never had them rip me off, would call me if it was anything bigger, 30 days to pay. They got the work for the EICR, gas safe etc. when required and sorted out minor stuff for me.

Find yourself a handyman who can do that sort of stuff for you and bypass the agents.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I was told that by someone after the fact but they had just bought a bungalow, moved in during December so needed it done quick. The bungalow was at a knock-down price as it was a repossession and it was a cash purchase. I think it only took a week from looking at it to moving in. Had nothing but aggro for the next 18 months with debt companies and bailiffs turning up on the door looking for the previous tenants but that’s another story.
yep when i tell people one of the houses i bought took less than a week to buy from start to finish they look with scepticism.
Even at height of covid bought one in 5 weeks and that should have been at least a week less as sellers solicitor messed up were proceeds were to be paid to .
Just shows all this usual months and months of fannying about can be cut right back

yep when i tell people one of the houses i bought took less than a week to buy from start to finish they look with scepticism.
Even at height of covid bought one in 5 weeks and that should have been at least a week less as sellers solicitor messed up were proceeds were to be paid to .
Just shows all this usual months and months of fannying about can be cut right back
Yep. They saw the house, put in an offer, the building society who repossessed it asked them to prove they had the money so they had to take building society books up to estate agent, they then accepted offer (this was all on day one). As far as I can remember they didn't bother with searches or surveys, took on a solicitor who pulled her finger out and got the keys a week later.

Take a look at a book called The Conveyancing Fraud by Michael Joseph (a conveyancing solicitor) - it details exactly why conveyancing takes so long (in a nutshell, because it costs so much, and that's the only way to make it seem like value) and how to speed it up by doing it yourself for a few quid

If you're buying cash, sold as seen and no searches or comeback, all that should be required is the money exchange, the transfer on the land registry and paying the stamp duty; couple of forms and that's about it

As with many things in this life, we pay to hand jobs to someone else under the illusion that we have someone to sue when it all goes tits up. Suing a legal professional is one of the biggest uphill challenges of them all.

Sponsored Links
The have come back with my inquiry ( that asked for what parts were replaced and hours booked ) and all they've come back with is 'replace expansion vessel'. This item is located in a broom cupboard.

What area are you ? As others have said, source your own reliable recommended tradesman. When you go through agencies, expect to pay about 20% or more for their " management fees". You have learnt the hard way. Sometimes when a boiler expansion vessel is faulty, the pressure relief valve is also letting by and leaking, and needs replacing at the same time. What make of boiler ?

Last edited:
I'd find a local tradesperson, too.

When we rented, we were charged £40 for the removal of two black bin liners containing leaves and a further £40 for "missing cutlery tray" that we had no idea about. Completely disproportionate but there was nothing I could do and had to pay. Leaders took it off our deposit. If an agent is involved between you and getting the job done, there's an opportunity for them to make money!

Aren't you in Scotland? I thought things are done differently there when it comes to house sales.

Aren't you in Scotland? I thought things are done differently there when it comes to house sales.
nope middle of england, but yes the way a house gets sold up there has slight differences

What area are you ? As others have said, source your own reliable recommended tradesman. When you go through agencies, expect to pay about 20% or more for their " management fees". You have learnt the hard way. Sometimes when a boiler expansion vessel is faulty, the pressure relief valve is also letting by and leaking, and needs replacing at the same time. What make of boiler ?

this isn't my property but my elderly mothers. Her usual plumber wasn't availabe at the time so she opted for the more convenient (and expensive) letting agent endorsed plumber. She'll know next time.
ps: I've no idea what make of boiler it is.

I'd find a local tradesperson, too.

When we rented, we were charged £40 for the removal of two black bin liners containing leaves and a further £40 for "missing cutlery tray" that we had no idea about. Completely disproportionate but there was nothing I could do and had to pay. Leaders took it off our deposit. If an agent is involved between you and getting the job done, there's an opportunity for them to make money!
We had the opposite when vacating a rental, there was a washing up bowl in the sink that was not on the inventory, the agent insisted it was removed, I shoved it in a cupboard when he went in another room.

We had the opposite when vacating a rental, there was a washing up bowl in the sink that was not on the inventory, the agent insisted it was removed, I shoved it in a cupboard when he went in another room.

:rolleyes: jobsworths!

Sponsored Links
Back