Extortionate quotes for replacement boiler........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok Guys hope you are ready for this.....................

Had British Gas guy come round today to quote for a boiler replacement.

Bearing in mind this is for a boiler replacement ONLY (Asked for Vailiant combi energy efficient doome good type thing)....Take one out put on in sort of job.................... No radiators......ok we opted for the wireless room stat...........

Are you ready......I promise you wont stop laughing for a week............

£3500

Think he's having a bit of a laugh

Anyone know of any "non cowboy" plumbers in the Leicestershire / Loughborough area that wont either

a) Trash my house
b) Won't raped my wallet blind

Any help you can give greatly appreciated as always

Trace & Rich

Sponsored Links
Boiler replacement is just not one out another in.

System needs to be cleaned, controls upgraded and posible gas line upgraded too. It might be a little expensive but then you are getting a top boiler with good quality work.

Option is you go to B in the Q and get yourself a boiler for 450 spots and get you local handyman to fit it for you for beer money.

Well, i did titter for a minute but seeing as my NY resolution is not to dis BG or gas fitters, It`s a fair price from a large National Concern for High quality work . And they know your home is your world :idea:

Bearing in mind that my Step Dad and his son are both qualified Corgi registered plumbers and they are still laughing

Sponsored Links
i thought bg were doing competetive prices

as already stated putting a boiler where another one is can be simple but rarely is

why dont you post whats on the quotation

e.g gas pipe,flue route,building works,wiring,controls etc

He's made his fortune in the plumbing business and is off to europe for 3 months in his motorhome ( Can't blame the lad really) and Cousin is up to his eyes in work.

I'm still waiting for the written quote from BG but should have it tomorrow.....Just thought it seemed excessive

I think the haggle margin on the initial quote is about 10%

Just out of curiosity how would the BG engineer actually come to such a price, I mean what's the labour charges per hour? etc! how much would a boiler cost to a multi national company? I'm sure they'd be getting them at a reduced price Hum!

Instead of insulting the OP or picking his comments to pieces why not just explain how they got to that price, and give your trade some credibility.

I don't think its unreasonable to ask if a price is fair or the going rate as a way of finding if someone is ripping you off or not, anyone who is hostile to such questions immediately gets me suspicious, If someone asked me I would just break it down and explain the price, its not rocket science and usually people will feel better knowing that I took the time and trouble to clarify it more. I don't see it as they are accusing me or my trade of ripping them off, they just want to understand where their money is going.

I've dealt with hostile trades people and they are nothing but trouble, bad attitude = bad work and hassle and the loss of my business.

@ OP just ask the BG man to break it down for you then you might understand the price more.

I've recently kicked several fitters into touch because of daft prices or bad attitude or both, like I somehow owe them a living. I now have a top man fitting me a boiler and installing some rads he's not the cheapest but he's an excellent fitter, patient, explains what he's done and even suggests better ways to do stuff, also does what I ask and is tidy. Can't ask for more than that.

I agree and will be reading the quote from the BG man closely. I have been advised what an independant plumber can get the equipment we have asked for, for.

The pipework on the old boiler comes in at the same point as the new boiler, the electricity is already there as is the gas feed.

I will keep you posted as to the breakdown of the quote..............since the BG man came I've had another quote of about £1800 but I am still seeking others

Many Thanks for your kind help all

Your comments would be valid if any of the tradespeople here were indeed serving the OP. In this case the OP is not even a prospective customer to anyone here.

Nor can you expect anyone to have to explain a quote made to the OP by BG (their competitor). You seem to have described this forum as though it's a service that is owed to you, much like the fitters you've 'kicked into touch'.

People here give free advice to others who want to help themselves with tackling plumbing & heating jobs. Nothing in the OP's post relates to that, so (abuse excepted) don't be surprised by the replies.

I am sorry if I have offended any tradesmen that are reviewing this post and my original posts were not meant as such.......

I have always had quite a dry sense of humour and automatically expect everyone else to get the " joke"

I am by no means implying that everyone in the plumbing industry is trying to wreck my house or rip me off.......

All I was seeking was advice on the quote I was given......(ie me thinking it was well excessive)

I apologise once again for upsetting anyone.....just my warped sense of humour

£3.5k? Seems a fair price, BG need to spend alot keeping our flying vans in the air. Aviation fuel costs alot dont ya know ;)

darkangel when you say kicked in to touch, do you mean you didn't accept their quotes? and when they were hostile or had a bad attitude what did they do wrong? just so i know how to better handle customers in future

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back