Extra wire in ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just preparing a room at home to redecorate. Removed the ceiling light fitting and there's an extra cable …

As expected, there are 2 x loop cables and a switch cable. Then a single, double insulated wire. Black inner insulation and it was connected to the rest of the black/neutral wires. Not connected to any other wires, it's carrying 240 V with respect to earth.

Disconnected from light and light works OK. Haven't yet found anything else not working.

Any ideas what it might be?

Attachments

• Ceiling Light.jpg
    Ceiling Light.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
How old is the house/wiring?
Is this an upstairs room?
Do you have two-way switching for the landing light? Does it still work?

Sponsored Links
At a guess some kind of borrowed neutral, for a later addition somewhere, and the live has been borrowed from another point.

'Borrowed' implies it's not right, but it could be perfectly correct.

Hard to say without being there and dismantling the place.

Indeed - and the answers to my questions in the preceding post might well help to identify if that were the case!

How old is the house/wiring?
Is this an upstairs room?
Do you have two-way switching for the landing light? Does it still work?

House is 1980s

This is a downstairs room.

Yes, there is 2-way switching for the landing light and yes, it still works with this extra wire disconnected.

I could understand if there were both extra "live" and "neutral" wires to supply another light no longer in operation but it's a single wire. Why would anybody run separate wires to different points to power an additional light …?

Could it be feeding an outside light, with the live coming from a switch. That is what was done in my house when it was built.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back