Extra zone valve wiring in - y plan system

Best to post a pic showing the existing

The wiring center has a mains connector show bottom right.

L for the grey. N for the blue. E for the earth.

The orange wire goes in the Orange connector for the mid position valve .

You need a separate connector block for the brown (MV) and the wire to "B".

You link L to "A" in the receiver.

Sponsored Links
I dont have a photo of the existing im afraid.

What will happen to the new zone valve when the frost stat fires up the boiler and heating etc? Or will it depend on what the new stat says?

If you need to frost protect that zone, then you could fit another frost stat, it would connect L to "B"

Would it not be possible to use the same frost stat that currently fires up the boiler etc?

Sponsored Links
If the frost stat opens the mid position valve then yes it could also open the zone valve.

But it depends how the frost stat is wired.

Edit.

The normal sundial would be to connect terminal 1 in the frost stat to grey and terminal 3 to brown ( in the HTG valve connectors on the left)

The new zone you would need to connect a wire to the brown from the brown above.

The grey needs to be a permanent live.

The blue is the neutral.

Green/yellow is the earth.

The brown goes to the switched live from the stat, post the make/model

The orange goes with the other orange.

If the zone valve are fitted on heating side of mid-position valve in order to close off part of radiators, and the frost stat kick in, the zone valve open and boiler fire but it wouldn't work cos the mid-position valve is not powered and still open to HW? In order to open to Heating, white on mid-position valve need to be powered.
Might be better to tee it off between pump and mid-position valve.

Dan.

The mid position valve is already connected to a frost stat in the wiring center.

The OP want the frost stat to also open the new zone valve. Simple enough but we need to know how the existing is wired as said before.

Obviously the new zone would tee off before the 3 port valve.

I had assumed that the frost stat opens the mid position valve so that it will send hot water round the whole CH system? Should this not be how it is?

I would like the frost stat to open both the valves if possible.

I don't want to tee it off before the mid position valve because surely then if the new zone calls for heating it will also go to the HW?

I am happy that the new zone can only be heated when the rest of the CH is on....

In fact, thinking about it.... it doesnt matter which side of the mid position valve the new zone valve goes (I don't think) - either way, I will only get heating to the new zone when either HW or CH is being called for... correct? or wrong?!

Wrong, the programmable stat will operate independent of the other programmer, unless you take a feed from 4 in the old programmer to A in the programmable room stat

I was also assuming the zone would be plumbed in to work independently.

Doitall - I am not sure you are understanding what I am trying to achieve.

I meant in my last post

In fact, thinking about it.... it doesnt matter which side of the mid position valve the new zone valve goes (I don't think) - either way, I will only get heating to the new zone when either HW or CH is being called for... correct? or wrong?!

I will be able to heat the new zone whenever the CH or HW are calling for heat - not when the new stat is opening the zone valve...

Therefore, can the new valve go either side of the 3 way valve?

I will take a photo of the wiring diagram tomorrow for you.

Thanks for the help so far.

Your post says you want to zone the bedrooms and fit a programmable stat.

I have told you how to wire it.

Now we have the problem of how or where to put the zone valve, a completely different question.

The system must be piped and configured to zone the area, this may mean altering the pipework or making a few adjustment. if you want/don't mind the new zone coming on with the existing heating programmer then the new valve can go after the mid position valve, all you would need then is a permanent live on the grey, and a switched live on the brown to open the valve at the set time.

The problem then is, if the existing room stat shuts the heating off, the bedroom zone goes as well.

That would certainly be the best plan Dan, a lot would depend on how the bedrooms are piped in conjunction with a rest of the property.

The current set up works really well to add a new zone without too many changes. After the diverter it splits, one goes off to the bedrooms, one to the kitchen, lounge etc... I am not worried that heating is only available to to the new zone when the rest of the house is also being heated.

It would however be marginally easier to add the valve before the current valve - does it make any difference?

If I wanted to use a timer instead of a programmable stat.... how can I wire it so the frost stat will open the new stat?

I will post a photo of the wiring later on...

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back