extractor fan air flow increase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is an odd one:

Instead of a standard inline extractor fan, I used a 300mm PC fan.
To adapt to 100mm ducting, I made a box with 100mm inlet and outlet.
The box sits in the loft and takes air from a roof vent via 1.5m of 100mm ducting.
It pumps the air down the house via 6m of 100mm ducting.

Effective air flow is 2 times greater than a standard £80 manrose while I paid £10 for two PC fans :)
Hence the DIY.

Here is the technical question:

In the aim of increasing the air flow even more, should I install the second fan in parallel or in series (one in front of the other)?

Parallel setup would force me to make twice as large housing.
Series setup seems easier.

Anyone knows the "aerodynamics" of 100mm ducting? ;)

Sponsored Links
In parallel, or one Fan will damper the other one.

remember, if have a very large air throughput to push air OUT of a room, you must allow at least an equivalent volume of air IN to the room. If you don’t, the fans will be trying to create a vacuum. From the sound of it, you’ll need to saw the bottom 6inches off the bottom of the door!

In parallel, or one Fan will damper the other one.

remember, if have a very large air throughput to push air OUT of a room, you must allow at least an equivalent volume of air IN to the room. If you don’t, the fans will be trying to create a vacuum. From the sound of it, you’ll need to saw the bottom 6inches off the bottom of the door!

Thank you!
Actually, I never shut the door of this room. I can't open windows as it's a busy road...
Now to make a larger "compression chamber" for 2 fans :)

I am also wondering if making slopped walls on the outlet side will help?
As on the bottom "drawing" - top throw.

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
The heading is extractor fans and then you start talking about blowing air into the house.

Is that what you mean to have?

The heading is extractor fans and then you start talking about blowing air into the house.

Is that what you mean to have?

Yes, it works a treat in my home office. Fresh air right from a roof vent.
/edit:
I see, yes I titled 'extractor fan' wrongly. Should have put AHU I guess.
Then again, using 100mm ducts, the only difference is the flow direction, I think.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back