Extractor Fan always on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have an extractor fan that is constantly running in the bathroom. I can’t seem to find a switch for this yet.

On inspection, I have an extraction pipe that runs from this fab upstairs in the loft, where will this extraction fan switch be?

And also, should this be running constantly or does that indicate an issue?

Thanks, Paul.

Sponsored Links
Pictures….

Attachments

• B73FD9EB-BC64-493D-98D9-6008DFAE6DB3.jpeg
    B73FD9EB-BC64-493D-98D9-6008DFAE6DB3.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 45
  • D5612DE5-EC60-4DAA-8D8A-370CB331A290.png
    D5612DE5-EC60-4DAA-8D8A-370CB331A290.png
    686.5 KB · Views: 43
They are normally timed, so they switch on when the light is on, and run on for a certain time after the light is off.
Should not be on continuously, unless the associated light is also on all the time.

The actual extractor is about halfway along that flexible ducting, there may be an isolator there, or it may not have been fitted.

The typical failure mode is that the cheapo uninsulated ducting collects condensation which then runs into the fan body and across the timer circuit board which by default is located below the fan.

Ah okay, maybe it’s so old that it’s faulty now! I did briefly notice that white switch on the picture so I’ll check that out tomorrow.

Many thanks for your help and information.

Sponsored Links
With your bathroom lights on, trip your fuses off on by one and see what circuit the fan is on.
If fan goes off with the bathroom lights you know it is on the same circuit.
Also makes it safer if you start to look closer at the wires - and image if the wires into the fan would be useful.

Some extractors are always on, my daughter is has a 3 year old house and it has them. When you turn on the bathroom light the fan speeds up?

Some extractors are always on, my daughter is has a 3 year old house and it has them. When you turn on the bathroom light the fan speeds up?
Probably has heat recovery system, they run 24/7 and bathrooms have a boost function.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back