Extractor fan for kitchen - Timber frame house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this is the right section!

I am fitting out a kitchen in a property built about 1984 and am replacing the kitchen appliances. I want to replace the hob extract unit - which is the recirculating type - with a vent to the outside.

I believe that the property is timber framed and was wondering if this presented any special problems and the best way to go about cutting the hole through the timber cladding (this must sound a really dumb question!)

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
How are the walls constructed? Starting with the plasterboard and ending with whatever the cladding is.

Looks like the plasterboard has what I can only describe as an "egg box" cardboard construction behind it and also vapour barrier material. I then have to assume that there is the plywood cladding and finally the outer cladding brick.

your biggest problem will be avoiding the upright studs. they are likely to be either 400, 450 or 600 centres.

the ply sheathing and plasterboard can either be jigsawed or stich drilled or both. the outer skin of bricks (if any) can again be stich drilled or use a hired diamond tipped hole cutting drill.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Looks like a little more bother than the normal brick thermal block and plaster that I am used to. Glad you pointed out the studs had not thought of that (Doh!!).

Think I might be tempted to try the new extract in recirc. mode - this is my daughters house and somehow I cannot see her doing too much in the way of cooking :). If in the future she does get keen in the kitchen will install fully

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back