Extractor Fan Help needed

You need to confirm if the yellow wire is or can be connected to the switch live of the switch (or the light).

As you say - yellow for switch live, red for permanent live.

Without physically checking this by going into the loft and finding the wires, can I do this by testing the wire using a voltmeter?

Sponsored Links
Yes, you need to see if you can get 230v from between the yellow wire and earth.

By switching the light switch, this may prove if it is a switched live.

The fact the yellow wire is not terminated in a connector block suggests it may not be connected to anything at the other end - but who knows?

Do you know how to use a voltmeter?

WORK SAFELY.

Last edited:
I will check them tomorrow, i suspect because the wires were loose that they arent connected. thanks for your advice.

Yes, you need to see if you can get 230v from between the yellow wire and earth.

By switching the light switch, this may prove if it is a switched live.

The fact the yellow wire is not terminated in a connector block suggests it may not be connected to anything at the other end - but who knows?

Do you know how to use a voltmeter?

WORK SAFELY.

I have just checked the plug and it would seem like i dont not have a live wire, only a switch live. I have checked the other lights in the same bathroom and they have a live wire, see blue circle. Can I take a wire from the live terminal and feed it into the extractor fan??

upload_2021-2-22_14-32-40.png

Sponsored Links
From the photo below, the red arrow cable comes from the light switch and the green arrow goes to from the isolator to the fan. The fan cable doesnt come from the the terminal box on the left that is for the standard lighting.

Hopefully the pictures are better.

upload_2021-2-22_15-19-31.png

Yes, but we need to see which of these cables is the fan cable

upload_2021-2-22_15-53-23.png

and separate them so we can see which wire is which.

upload_2021-2-22_16-5-46.png

Ok so the cable in the bottom right is the feed going to the isolator. The red goes to the switched live terminal, blue to neutral and earth to earth. Therefore there is no wire going to live which it seems could be the yellow however it has not been connected and cut short.

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-22_16-4-52.png
    upload_2021-2-22_16-4-52.png
    636.5 KB · Views: 45
Right, first make sure the yellow is connected properly throughout and then put the yellow in with the permanent live wires.

It should now be sleeved red throughout to show it is now a line(live) conductor.

I would personally make the red the permanent live but that is not essential.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back