Extractor Fan Help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon, help very much needed.

I have tried to wire in a new extractor fan, I have it working however the timer doesnt work. Looking at the wiring back to the where it terminates the live and switch live cable come from the same terminal. I can see that the wire used for the switch live terminal hasn't been used as it curled away. please see image

I have also looked in the isolator switch above the bathroom door and have connected the yellow cables into the remaining terminals. there were 2 yellow cable free in the switch, one i assumed went to the fan and one from the light switch. I am concerned that I cannot see that same yellow cable in the bathroom light switch.

How do I check if that yellow cable live?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1119.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1119.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 155
Sponsored Links
A timer model needs a permanent live feed. From that pic it looks like they have connected the timer to the switched live. What is at the switch? If that yellow isn't there then you could find a permanent live in the loft and take through the isolator to the fan perm live connection.

The other two cables go to the lights as I have a fan/light extraction combo (brown wire) . No i dont have one however i am happy to buy one.

the red and yellow both go to the fan currently, red to live and yellow to switch live. Is the red not the permanent live? I copied the original fan and believe this was done to make a timer fan work.

Sponsored Links
The other two cables go to the lights as I have a fan/light extraction combo (brown wire) . No i dont have one however i am happy to buy one.

the red and yellow both go to the fan currently, red to live and yellow to switch live. Is the red not the permanent live? I copied the original fan and believe this was done to make a timer fan work.

From that pic it looks like they've connected to switched live only

so on my drawing the blue arrow is the input, red arrow goes to the lights and orange to the fan. I am assuming that the yellow coiled cable on the input is the missing wire that needs to go to the extractor fan to work the timer?

upload_2021-2-20_19-20-22.png

so on my drawing the blue arrow is the input, red arrow goes to the lights and orange to the fan. I am assuming that the yellow coiled cable on the input is the missing wire that needs to go to the extractor fan to work the timer?

View attachment 223772

The yellow going to the fan needs to be removed from where it is and connected to a permanent supply

thanks, where would i get that permanent supply from? could i not connect it to the yellow cable on the input?

Where is the switch then?

Are you saying the blue arrow cable comes from the switch?

upload_2021-2-20_19-43-48.png

The left photo is the isolator, the yellow wires werent originally connected but i connected them. the right photo shows the bathroom light switch. Doesnt seem to be a yellow cable in the light switch.

Power off and connect the yellow from original photo to the yellow going to the fan. What does that do?

You need to confirm if the yellow wire is or can be connected to the switch live of the switch (or the light).

As you say - yellow for switch live, red for permanent live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back