Extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have recently had a small toilet built under my stairs but never bothered with an extractor fan. Now i have just been informed that Building Control will not sign off any works until i have a fan installed. The problem is the bathroom is situated in the centre of the house and any flu connected to the fan is going to look crazy as it will be zigzagged around the inside of the house until it reaches an external wall (can't go under floor as part concrete and just laid new oak floor)!! So, i was doing a bit of searching online and saw an extractor fan called "Built-in Toilet Extractor System from Odourbuster". Basically the fan disperes the air down a tube into the toilet waste pipe - without the need for installing a new flu. The website selling this say it is buidling control friendly - i would have posted the link to the website but not sure what the rules are around here being a newbie, with posting links! Anyway, has anyone came accross this type of extractor fan before as it seems too good to be true - escpecially if it passes building control. Any ideas? (btw not sure if this is the correct forum but im sure it would be a sparks job to install).

Thanks
james

Sponsored Links
i would have posted the link to the website but not sure what the rules are around here being a newbie, with posting links!
Post a link of the little blighter - i'm sure someone will be able to advise.

Incidentally, on the other side of the wall is there a garage (I believe you could vent to a garage if required).

Also, what did the BCO expect you to do to comply - or was this the first time they visited? Did they offer any suggestions?

i would have posted the link to the website but not sure what the rules are around here being a newbie, with posting links!
Post a link of the little blighter - i'm sure someone will be able to advise.

Incidentally, on the other side of the wall is there a garage (I believe you could vent to a garage if required).

Also, what did the BCO expect you to do to comply - or was this the first time they visited? Did they offer any suggestions?

The other side of the wall is the neghbours - only two bricks seperating with no cavity i have been advised!

It was the first time BCO had viewed the place and he suggested the fan/flu could go from above the bathroom door into the lving room cornice, then along my living room into my kitchen where the external wall is - then i'd prob have to have the thing boxed in which is verry bad option.... swine,

http://www.airaway.biz/built-in-toilet-extractor-system.html

james1975 said:
It was the first time BCO had viewed the place and he suggested the fan/flu could go from above the bathroom door into the lving room cornice, then along my living room into my kitchen where the external wall is - then i'd prob have to have the thing boxed in which is verry bad option.... swine
You'll have to wait to hear from someone else if it's actually any good (i've never seen one before) but it might be worth giving the BCO a ring to check that they will accept this option. You'd hate to spend the money and find out they're still not satisfied. ;)

If you don't get any reponses as to whether it's any good then it might be worth a move to the plumbing forum. :idea:

Sponsored Links
james1975 said:
It was the first time BCO had viewed the place and he suggested the fan/flu could go from above the bathroom door into the lving room cornice, then along my living room into my kitchen where the external wall is - then i'd prob have to have the thing boxed in which is verry bad option.... swine
You'll have to wait to hear from someone else if it's actually any good (i've never seen one before) but it might be worth giving the BCO a ring to check that they will accept this option. You'd hate to spend the money and find out they're still not satisfied. ;)

If you don't get any reponses as to whether it's any good then it might be worth a move to the plumbing forum. :idea:

good point, i will post in plumbing and see if i get any luck
thanks

can you install ducting above the ceiling, under the upstairs floor?

sometimes, if the joists run in your favour, you can slide it in without lifting floorboards, tho could be a problem under the stairs i suppose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back