Extractor Fans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit extractor fans in a kitchen and bathroom on seperate circuits, each proected by a 3 amp MCB and with cables routed through 3pole isolator switches. Will this arrangement be compliant?
Grateful for any help.
:D

Sponsored Links
Not that it won't be compliant, why do you want to run individual radials?
Why TP isolators?
This work is notifiable under part p of the building regs so it will probably be worth your while having a competent electrician who is a member of a self cert scheme such as the NICEIC DI, NAPIT, ELECSA etc do the work for you.

Your question is worded rather oddly.

It is as if you would hate it if they were on the same circuit but have seen 3A MCBs (???) and three-pole isolator switches and quite liked the look of them and so would 'like' to have them.

In fact do you just want fans in the kitchen and bathroom installed according to the latest regulations?

Is fitting a bathroom extractor fan only notifiable if the fan is physically located in the bathroom? ie those ones that you install in the loft with a pipe into the bathroom are not notifiable?

Sponsored Links
Is fitting a bathroom extractor fan only notifiable if the fan is physically located in the bathroom? ie those ones that you install in the loft with a pipe into the bathroom are not notifiable?
That is correct - of course, associated work may be notifiable.

Thanks, and when I say bathroom, is that to say zone 0, 1 and 2 of a bathroom? Is installing an extractor fan in zone 3 (non-zoned) notifiable?

A fan in zone 0 is a new one by me, but yes - I get what you are saying and the work may be non notifiable if outside the special location as defined by law which is the relevent zones for a bathtub/shower basin to the 17th edn IET regs, though to be fair fan's are not specifically excluded from notification by the building regs hence can be construed as being notifiable anyway.
Zone 3 doesn't exist anymore.

All parts of a bathroom are a bathroom.

It doesnt matter what zone the electrical equipment is in, or if it is outside a zone, or if your bathroom is 12 metres x 12 metres and the ceiling is 8 metres up.

Its still a bathroom.

Thanks all.
I am just sorting out what work I want done. Wiring the fan on a separate radial would be the easiest option and would involve much less disruption in this particular property. I thought a three pole isolator was mandatory for bathroom fans. So - don't need detailed wiring info - just wanted to know if this option, rather than taking a pus through an FCU or wiring from the lighting circuit, would be compliant before I ask for quotes.
Cheers

All parts of a bathroom are a bathroom.

It doesnt matter what zone the electrical equipment is in, or if it is outside a zone, or if your bathroom is 12 metres x 12 metres and the ceiling is 8 metres up.

Its still a bathroom.

I'm not denying a bathroom is a bathroom, however what the law says in the section regarding non-notifiable works says something else, picking out some of the relevent bits:
SI2214:2010 said:
2. Work which—
(a) is not in a kitchen, or a special location;
(b) does not involve work on a special installation; and
(c) consists of—
(i) adding light fittings and switches to an existing circuit, or
(ii) adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit.
“special location” means a location within the limits of the relevant zones specified for a bath,
a shower, a swimming or paddling pool or a hot air sauna in the Wiring Regulations,
seventeenth edition, published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the British
Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2008(b).

How would you go about notifying this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMwMKJhaf7A :LOL:

I thought a three pole isolator was mandatory for bathroom fans.
Some will tell you it is if the bathroom has no window so that, if it is on the lighting circuit, you can see to repair it.
This is a ridiculous reason as no such consideration is given to working on the light.
However, it is useful should the fan go wrong so that the lights are still usable until repaired.
So - don't need detailed wiring info - just wanted to know if this option, rather than taking a pus through an FCU or wiring from the lighting circuit, would be compliant before I ask for quotes.
For the life of me I can't think what 'pus' is supposed to be.

Some manufacturers will require a 3A FCU to be used.
If you use a Double Pole FCU and a DP switch (if operated with the lights) you can dispense with the TP isolator as the FCU will do the same job.
If interested see my diagram in this thread

The bathroom fan he is planning is an in-line one. On that basis all wiring is not IN the bathroom but in the loft.
IMO the best location for an isolator for that type of fan is in the loft, next to the fan.

A fan in zone 0 is a new one by me.
There's one here - it's at the back.

boat2.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back