Fusing for an extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing an extractor in a bathroom (correct rating, correct zone, all that) and the instructions state that the permanent live for the timer needs to be separately fused with a 1A fuse. This sems like a bit of an overkill to avoid guarantee claims to me, as it's only on a 6A lighting circuit, and i've put in a 3pole isolator already. Anyone got any thoughts? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Does sound like overkill.

But if they say it.....

Talk to the tech dept of the co., and see what they say.

Does seem a little unusual. Normally we would just use a three pole isolator like you stated, but you could put an FCU inline as well to make sure. Is the fan mains voltage or extra low voltage with a separate transformer? Who is the fan manufactured by? If you are wanting the guarantee to be valid then you should follow their instructions.
Sorry I cant be more help on this but I'm sure someone on here will be able to help you further. Don't forget to notify LABC of your intended work in a bathroom to comply with part P of the building regulations.

Rob

Ta,

It's a Ventaxia, and it's mains voltage 15w (maybe the low Wattage has something to do with it...). Thanks for the input anyway, I'll call them in the morning.

Sponsored Links
These fans have a build up on the fan impellor, of anything which is in the air flow e.g. moist cotton fibres and over a period of time. This can cause the fan blade to jam, leading to an overheating problem and risk of fire.
A low fuse rating will obviously reduce this risk.

Jaymack

Say NO to posters who crave attention in signatures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back