Extractor fuse - Shaver socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have this in by bathroom, I'm assuming its a fuse for the extractor fan. Firstly, it looks like are spaces for two fuses, does this mean there is a spare one? Secondly, could I wire a shaver socket from here?

Sponsored Links
Looks like a fused spur but with a key switch under it. Whatever it is, it's not very young of age.

I'd be concerned about the age of the cable feeding it.

Have you tried pulling main fuses at the board to confirm if it's hung off the lighting circuit or a socket circuit ?

Subject to rules of location in a bathroom, and the fan running a modest 100w motor, you could :

Take the old unit out, replace with a double accessory back box and 2 x f/spurs with 1A fuses. 1x fan, 1 x shaver socket.

By restricting the load to 2A at the fused spurs your unlikely to overload the lighting circuit that I guess the existing feed is taken from.

Please read up on bathroom electrical work in the DIYnot wiki.

The fuse modules would look like this

K4890WHI.jpg

the key switch modules like this

MKK4898.JPG

So I'll take back my earlier assumption that one may have been a key switch.

Sponsored Links
Should be easy enough to take it off the wall and see what cables are behind it, and to try to lever out the things that might be fuse holders, to see if they are.

It's a 2 gang crabtree grid switch mounted sideways with two fuse modules.

It's all just a bit covered in paint thats all.

p42416_x.jpg

Thanks for the replies.
There are two fuses; one is for the extractor fan (it turned off when I pulled it out) not sure about the other one.
Still not sure about putting a shaver socket in, but I do think I need to move these fuses because I want to put a false wall in front of them. Would this be easy to do? Are there any rules I should be aware of, because it’s in a bathroom perhaps?
Do you recommend replacing it, if I’m moving it?
That last pic looks about right, my photo should have been rotated 90 degrees clockwise btw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back