Extremely loud banging from central heating in morning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
So for the last few days as it's been cold, when the heating first comes on at 7am, there is an almighty banging noise. The pipes have always banged and ticked a bit with the heating, but this is 100 times noisier. We seriously thought someone was downstairs doing some sledgehammering. Same this morning.

So I've bled the rads - no air, and also checked the pump - undone the bleed screw and checked the spindle was free, which it is. I did think the pump had gone as it's probably 10 years old, but it's v quiet just humming. The banging happens about 2 mins after the timer comes on, but then the rads do heat up, and the pipes don't then make any noise.

The system is open vent with a tank in the loft, and Potterton Suprima 30 boiler (don't ask), regularly serviced. The rads are old and fairly sludgy, but the system was flushed last year. Pump is a Pegler "Terrier TC6".

Anything else I can try before getting a heating eng on the case?

Sponsored Links
I hate threads that are started and never completed.
So... I got a heating eng. out. Sod's law - the banging didn't happen. This was the day after I had bled the rads, but it had banged after that. But it didn't happen while he was here, and didn't happen today either so I think it must have been a massive air lock that has now found its way out the system. In fact the pipes are quieter than before...weird!

Hope your right.
It still could be a fault with the gas ignition if this almighty bang returns.

Sponsored Links
If the pump is wired into the boiler (as it should be) it is probably a boiler pcb fault.

OK so this happened again a few weeks ago. Got the pump replaced and it's been fine since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back