F.A.O. Moderators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that you have responsibilities, as this is a DIY site. Safety is the number one concern, and I agree that users should be protected from adverse advice.

However- there are a number of users on here who are getting somewhat disillusioned by the "faceless" actions of the mods. If you disagree with something, that's fine - and if you decide to lock a subject in the interest of safety, that's fine too. But please, justify your actions.

Plugwash has been the latest "victim" of your actions, in the recent subject of pulling the REC's fuse. I use the word "victim" loosely, because I personally wouldn't recommend pulling out the mains fuse at all. But if a new user is on here looking for that advice, the best we can do is to advise them against it, and failing that, advise them how to do it as safely as possible. If we don't do that, they may well do it anyway, without the safety advice.

Debate is the key to all good forums, and my opinion is that moderators should join in, i.e. You shouldn't do that because.... or even you must not do that because...

I don't support plugwash's views 100%, but I can see his frustration in having edited his posts. Perhaps more constructive posts from the moderators would be in order.....

Simon

Sponsored Links
Plugwash has been the latest "victim" of your actions, in the recent subject of pulling the REC's fuse. I use the word "victim" loosely, because I personally wouldn't recommend pulling out the mains fuse at all. But if a new user is on here looking for that advice, the best we can do is to advise them against it, and failing that, advise them how to do it as safely as possible. If we don't do that, they may well do it anyway, without the safety advice

I totally agree with the above statement, pulling the REC's fuse is not to be recommended but if someone is going to do it anyway they should at least be made aware of how to do it safely.
Local REC's have been quite happy to employ people with no previous electrical experience and minimal training to go into peoples homes to pull fuses and change meters. It is not rocket science.

If everyone on this forum wrote to their MP, and request that electricty firms provide decent means of isolation for an installation, this problem will never arise - we are still in the Victorian Era, as far as electrical supply firms are concerned.

Are the moderators here professional tradesman ? :confused: oh silly me we don't know do we :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
MB oh yes it will

there is no way the recs will upgrade existing installs in a hurry

imho they should make a combined cutout/meter/isolator box with 4 seperate covers

one each for the input and output each with enough space to terminate SWA properly

one to cover the internal workings and one to cover the fuse (if a fuse is used : it may be better to use a breaker of some kind although theese have neusecse tripping problems to a much greater extent than fuses)

each of theese covers would have provision for anti tamer sealing

i also think a comment at least should be left as to why the post
has been altered

i had a post alterd on an other forum where my post was alterd
i asumed for one thing it was actualy alterd for another reason
it all depended on emphasis whilst reading

big all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back