F&B Estate Eggshell now more glossy!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am using the Estate Eggshell in Pavilion Gray. You can see from the pics, after I touched up a few areas, its gone very glossy. Any ideas? I used the rest of the tin to paint another section of stair case and its seems much more glossy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/s1YnH5G0OW9KZ0d83

Thanks for any advice, James

Sponsored Links
F&B had to admit their paint was pretty awful to use recently and said they had changed the formulation, I suspect that is the problem.(n)

FWIW

Just painted a front door with Johnstone Acrylic Satin.
Very good finish, and not glossy, time will tell so see how durable.
Not cheap around £26 for a litre, but you could probably paint 5 or 6 doors with 3 coats.

Sponsored Links
F & B is horrible stuff but that aside eggshell really doesn't touch up very well

I never quite get the idea of eggshell, is it supposed to represent the finish which is almost but not quite matt or does it allude to the thickness of an egg shell suggesting hard-wearing and toughness, I've always thought it was the former but most eggshells are much more shiny.

I've used F&B over the last year and I'm not impressed at all.

I dread having to use their paints. Their customer services teams are condescending twits.

A few years ago I was using one of their "cream" emulsions and then noticed that the roller was leaving red dots. I rang their support line and the idiot on the other end of the line proudly told me that "it is a characteristic of their paint" and that they recommend that all tins of their emulsion should be stirred for 10 minutes prior to use.

I retorted that stirring it for an hour would not make a slightest difference. They didn't give a toss. I had to go out and buy a cheap pair of tights to strain it.

I last used their emulsion paint 3 weeks ago. After allowing the oil based dulux trade eggshell on the picture rail and skirting boards to cure for two days, the F&B still fisheyed when cutting in.

Farrow and Ball, Fired Earth et all, paints specified by designers who never get their hands dirty...

Eggshell will loose its glossy appearance when it fully dries. Longer than touch dry. A few days maybe. That has heen the case with oil based in my experience but can not help with water based.
Assume you stired full before use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back