F16 fighter jets

it is highly unlikely Putin will be able to strong arm his out of this.
He doesn't need to. He just keeps it going. If anyone needs it stopped, they should read the russian written down demand. If nobody needs it stopped, they can just keep going.

Sponsored Links
If the Ukes get somewhere near parity in the air, and start laying cluster munitions on top of Russian trenches, the Russkies will walk away in hundreds/thousands. The Ukes won't.

If the Ukes get somewhere near parity in the air, and start laying cluster munitions on top of Russian trenches, the Russkies will walk away in hundreds/thousands. The Ukes won't.
That's same as saying: if ukraine takes moscow, russia will lose. Ok, great, why doesn't it?

Sponsored Links
Ukraine had jets. They are all gone. Ukraine had tanks, they are all gone. Ukraine had helicopters, they are all gone.

The only thing ukraine sorely needs is for nato to enter. I reckon nato should enter. The whole world is waiting to see nato teaching the russians a thing or two. So long as russia proper is not threatened, no nukes will be used.

Last edited:
F16's can be shot down from a fair old distance. It'll be interesting to see what happens to them when and if they are sent. They need a fair amount of ground support too eg talking to some one who does it, electronic box swapping even when not at war. It seems this doesn't need much in the line of skill. There value means more expensive missiles and gear can be used against them.

Did you know that for every hour of flight the F-16 needs around 17 man-hours of maintenance? This is a huge undertaking for all the armed forces that choose to use these planes. However, while there are some fighter jets that make do with less maintenance, this number is not even that surprising.2 Jan 2023

The most recent info on maintenance check is every 300hrs of flight but on some other types of kit what they had recently done figures in it as well. F16 - pass I don't know. It's not even easy to find out how many are actually in service as on some kit they include in bits providing the can be put together in some times scale - 2 days I think.

Just as general information, the F-16 at full military power and low altitudes burns about 8000 pounds of fuel an hour, which with a full droptank configuration gives it about 2 hours' flight time. In full afterburner at low altitudes, the F-16 can burn in excess of 64,000 pounds an hour.

Some comments on their use sound WWII blitzkrieg like to me - send the stukas in quickly followed by troops ideally with tanks. Dog fight's ??? Times change.

Ukraine's main problem currently is that they are having to attack.

Zelenski is in no mood for compromise
Unfortunately it won't be up to Zelensky.
From the disrespectful way Ben Wallace spoke to him recently, it must be evident that Ukraines Western backers don't regard Zelensky as an equal.
Wallace and his sarcastic remarks about Western countries not being an Amazon delivery service for arms to Ukraine shows who is really in charge of this war.
Zelensky is a man under enormous pressure and Wallace should have shown him more respect.

Most of the world see the Ukraine/Russia conflict as a white European war which had nothing to do with them.
It has everything to do with them. They are spared conflict as long as it goes on. You can't imagine their glee. Russia getting into the fight was the best thing happening to the world since the sliced bread was invented.

Unfortunately it won't be up to Zelensky.
From the disrespectful way Ben Wallace spoke to him recently, it must be evident that Ukraines Western backers don't regard Zelensky as an equal.
Wallace and his sarcastic remarks about Western countries not being an Amazon delivery service for arms to Ukraine shows who is really in charge of this war.
Zelensky is a man under enormous pressure and Wallace should have shown him more respect.
No that black and white, remember the fall of Kabull, Pootin will exploit any weakness.

Blup

Ukraine had jets. They are all gone. Ukraine had tanks, they are all gone. Ukraine had helicopters, they are all gone.

The only thing ukraine sorely needs is for nato to enter. I reckon nato should enter. The whole world is waiting to see nato teaching the russians a thing or two. So long as russia proper is not threatened, no nukes will be used.
What you said about tanks is not true. Far from it. They have been unable/unwilling to use them fully because of the Russian defences/minefields. I'd be curious to know where you heard that?

F16's can be shot down from a fair old distance. It'll be interesting to see what happens to them when and if they are sent. They need a fair amount of ground support too eg talking to some one who does it, electronic box swapping even when not at war. It seems this doesn't need much in the line of skill. There value means more expensive missiles and gear can be used against them.

Did you know that for every hour of flight the F-16 needs around 17 man-hours of maintenance? This is a huge undertaking for all the armed forces that choose to use these planes. However, while there are some fighter jets that make do with less maintenance, this number is not even that surprising.2 Jan 2023

The most recent info on maintenance check is every 300hrs of flight but on some other types of kit what they had recently done figures in it as well. F16 - pass I don't know. It's not even easy to find out how many are actually in service as on some kit they include in bits providing the can be put together in some times scale - 2 days I think.

Just as general information, the F-16 at full military power and low altitudes burns about 8000 pounds of fuel an hour, which with a full droptank configuration gives it about 2 hours' flight time. In full afterburner at low altitudes, the F-16 can burn in excess of 64,000 pounds an hour.

Some comments on their use sound WWII blitzkrieg like to me - send the stukas in quickly followed by troops ideally with tanks. Dog fight's ??? Times change.

Ukraine's main problem currently is that they are having to attack.
One of the main benefits of the F-16 is that it can engage air targets are much longer distances, and in a mobile fashion. The maintenance isn't something that Ukraine/Allies haven't considered, it is one of the major talking points about handing them over.
I'm of the belief that F-16 isn't a silver bullet, but it will push Russian air support back from the front.

What Ukraine needs, is longer range precision weapons. GLSDB, ATACMS, HIMARS cluster munitions, and even German Taurus.

Ukraine persistently degraded Russian logistics to extreme effect and gained great successes. Now, they're further out of range. It is difficult to repeat this. With longer ranged precision weapons, this will change again.

Sponsored Links
Back