Face brick water absorption below DPC, advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone advise on the best type of brick to use below DPC on a house. I need to select a black brick for 3 courses below DPC, 1 course will be under the side path level and the other two courses will be above finish ground level up to DPC. Some searches say 4.5% and others say 7.5% water absorption is required for below DPC.

I was recommended the following brick which is 12% absorption, and is F2 S2.
My facing bricks above DPC are <10% and F2 S2.

I don't want them popping because of frost in winter.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 21.56.50.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 21.56.50.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
Could someone advise on the best type of brick to use below DPC on a house. I need to select a black brick for 3 courses below DPC, 1 course will be under the side path level and the other two courses will be above finish ground level up to DPC. Some searches say 4.5% and others say 7.5% water absorption is required for below DPC.

I was recommended the following brick which is 12% absorption, and is F2 S2.
My facing bricks above DPC are <10% and F2 S2.

I don't want them popping because of frost in winter.
Anything F2 S2 rated will do. I'd go for Staffy blues as said. (Edited)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Staffordshire blue smooth were my original preference but a guy who sources the bricks for a living at good prices can get them black ones in packs of 400 plus any extras I might need. I'm going to calculate how many but it was looking like 800 and staff blue's were in packs of around 560 depending on which brand, I don't want loads of spares so a stocked item is probably best.

I think blacks would go better with a light grey brick & anthracite windows than a blue but not if the frosts going to damage them. It's quite wet the ground around where I'll build so need good drainage, thats why i wondered if the 12% was worse than a 7% if both marked as S2 F2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back