Facebook harassment / bullying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If two co-workers have a slanging match on facebook about another co-worker, digging up their past etc (both slangees have deleted the 3rd co-worker so she cant see, but other co-workers can see it), is this grounds for suspending them both, pending an investigation?

A store i used to work at, a supervisor and a customer service assistant are shagging each other, and they are posting awful remarks about the duty manager on facebook. They have both deleted the duty manager, but another CSA has seen the remarks and told her about it. The remarks are of a bullying nature, and contain information that the duty manager would rather not have everyone know, but clearly she is powerless to remove it from public view.

Could she suspend them herself, or would it require some 3rd party to be present? Just wondered what the rules were in general. She's going to phone HR in the morning. The manager has wanted rid of this particular supervisor for a long time due to periods of sickness, this may be the final straw.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
you have to be careful here, If this is a private matter between two or three individuals outside of office hours and you try to sack them then the procedures and grounds for dismissal may not have been adhered to.

If the name of the company is being brought into disrepute as a consequence then there could be grounds for starting a disciplinary but sacking on the spot is usually only for gross misconduct.

Perhaps a good talking to is sufficient in this case and its up to the victim to proceed how he/she feels, though as they are implicated in all this then they shouldnt be allowed to instigate a disciplinary as it has to be seen to be impartial.

I think it needs to be established if the poster is actually the supervisor and not someone pretending to be him/her.

no its definitely her, nasty vindictive piece of work she is. and her "boyfriend" / **** buddy

Sponsored Links
If two co-workers have a slanging match on facebook about another co-worker, digging up their past etc (both slangees have deleted the 3rd co-worker so she cant see, but other co-workers can see it), is this grounds for suspending them both, pending an investigation?
Steve, grounds for suspension would normally be an employee is suspected of committing an act of gross misconduct. To quote you,
two co-workers have a slanging match on facebook about another co-worker
This would, in my opinion, constitute possible gross misconduct. There needs to be an investigation obviously to ascertain who, why, when, what etc. And if indeed the said employees were the ones who posted the words.

Could she suspend them herself, or would it require some 3rd party to be present?
The Manager shouldn't be involved in the suspension. HR or another senior manager should carry this out as the impartiality of the manager in question could/would be questioned in any appeal and possible Tribunal.

She's going to phone HR in the morning.
When was the manager made aware of this 'online slagging'?

a few hours since. by phone, by the duty manager involved. he said he'd "have a word"

in other words it wont get sorted.

he is notoriously slow at dealing with issues.

a few hours since. by phone, by the duty manager involved.
I don't understand what you mean here Steve. Can you tell me WHEN did the store management/person, who these things were allegedly said about, find out about the incident?

he said he'd "have a word"

in other words it wont get sorted.

he is notoriously slow at dealing with issues.
Then the person who is the subject of these remarks should submit a grievance to your company HR department detailing who her grievance is about and what. I'm sure the HR department will be VERY interested to hear that a senior manager lets incidents of this nature go unchallenged.

a few hours since. by phone, by the duty manager involved.
I don't understand what you mean here Steve. Can you tell me WHEN did the store management/person, who these things were allegedly said about, find out about the incident?
About 6:00, on the phone, today, BST.

She is very distressed about it. I told her (im same position another store) in the morning to phone HR manager for our area, and tell him what the crack is, and hope he comes down. I just wondered what his response would be on the phone. The person causing the trouble is opening up in the morning, duty manager in at 9, manager in at 2pm.

It should also be noted the person causing the trouble has been through disciplinary action before regarding sickness and absence, and tomorrow sees her return from yet another week off sick (for silly reasons). Several staff are exceedingly ****ed off with her (notably the management team - the greivee, the manager and the other supervisor, who all had to do overtime to cover her shifts), and she has been rallying support for "her side". She is out to cause trouble.

So have these people (the ones doing the 'slagging'), been working today, i.e. AFTER the store management knew about the incident?

I wonder what your bosses at the XXXXXXXX would make of you putting this issue on the internet? They can't have too many employees in Yorkshire with the same name easily visble in your profile. You wanna be careful Steve.

Blas, no they have been off sick for a week. Tomorrow is their 1st day back.

Sponsored Links
Back