failed electrical survey with code 1, but no quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm in the process of buying a house and I made a full electrical survey. It came with several code 1 ("need urgent attention") but the electrician has not provided me with quote to fix them ( I suspect for some political reason as he was recommended by the agent).

I would appreciate if anyone could give me an approximate range of price for fixing the following:

- fixing the socket in the kitchen which is wronly fitted into cooker circuit (by this I mean connecting it properly rather than disconnecting it).
- Adding RCD protection which we don't have (do we need to change the fuseboard?)
- do the main bonding (inexistant...)
- fixing spot light Ip rating in the bathroom.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
MODS: Move post to electrics forum??

Hi,

It is fairly normal procedure for the inspector/tester NOT to quote for remedial works at the same time as presenting the report. Conflict of interests and all that.

Very very hard to give an approximation of costs without looking at the work. But here goes:

Kitchen socket issue - could be £50 could be £300....

Fuseboard - not mandatory to change the board to RCD type, I can only presume there are other considerations within the installation that made the spark Code 1 it.

Main Bonding - could be £140-£300.

Bath light - depends on how many, and type, and other things.

BUT all the above also depends on the location also.

Hi,
I'm in the process of buying a house and I made a full electrical survey. It came with several code 1 ("need urgent attention") but the electrician has not provided me with quote to fix them ( I suspect for some political reason as he was recommended by the agent).
I hope you haven't exchanged contracts!

Get your solicitor to inform the vendor of the problems found and say you want £2k off the price to put them right. They will probably get the work done rather than loose £2k.

I would also hope you haven't paid the out-of-date electrician who has done an inspection to the previous version of the Wiring Regulations, not the current one...

Sponsored Links
yes i see BAS. He/she has conducted a PIR. Coding of 1 "urgent action" should now be C1 "immediate action" as per EICR which has been around 8 months now. The sparky is probably running off old photocopied blanks, has not updated software or wont pay his/her provider for new EICR forms.

Which does not, I suggest, indicate that he or she is bothered about high standards of professionalism.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back