failrly new gas fire no longer lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have a gas fire in the dining room which runs off of a cylinder in the back entry.
Its almost brand new but we havent used it in about a year.
I tried fireing it up the other night, so first thing was to reconnect the gas cylinder.
then back into the house, turned the valve to open and started the clicker/igniter.
But nothing.
Just wondering if there are some simple standard things a diy enthusiast could do safely before calling in someone.
I presume i should hear a hiss from the gas fire itself...which i dont.
Also, who would i actually call in for something like this?

I've included some photos...(yes i was amazed to see how dusty/dirty it was when i removed the fake coals)

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
That gas pipe doesn't appear to be correctly sleeved as it passed through the wall, you have already done more that a diy'er should get a RGI in pronto! (make sure he has an LPG ticket!!) ;)

Sponsored Links
Indeedy!

Any RGI worth their weight in salt cam identify EXACTLY why this isn't working; even if you were to plug those bottles in....

C'mon guys... Can you see? Haha!

Albeit, I'd recommend an rgi went so it is tested properly (26[9] FAGS)

DIY enthusiast? and you can't see whats wrong with install.Get a pro in to check it for safety.Simple things are wrong going by your pics.

awh...come on guys....give me a break!

I didnt put the fire in...it was installed a year ago as part of a turn key house we bought. And it worked then.
When i went to try it again when the cold weather came in it didnt work.

Of course i connected the bottles and opened the valve and tried the piezo igniter etc...but not go.
I removed all the coals, disconnected the bottles, closed the valve etc before taking the photos...daft i know but hey. :oops:

Anyway thanks for replying anyhow...i just though if there was something simple to try before getting the gas man in.....

Cheers

having said that....i'm curious to know what simple things are wrong...are you saying its incorrectly installed? It would be great if you could list them because if i can get the guy who installed it (he is still about in the development area) at least i would be armed with something...otherwise he could just say anything and i'd have to accept it!

Can you see the piezo spark? I had one that jumped sideways off the braided lead and shorted to earth - so no ignition.

With all those dead matches lying around it makes me very worried about the safety in that house.

Luckily I am a long way away.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back