Falling pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a combi boiler and am having to top it up with water every day. This has only occurred very recently. I have got some people in to have a look and no leaks can be detected anywhere. Anybody know why this could be happening then? Somebody has mentioned a possible problem with a pressure relief valve or an expansion vessel (?).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is there any sign of water at the pressure relief pipe which goes through the wall?
You didn't read the fixed messages at the top...WHAT BOILER is it, how old, any other problems etc. !
What range did the pressure gauge move over before the leak?

Chris R

Thanks for response

1. It is an an Intesa combi Boiler (Gas). Not sure of precise manufacture number.
2. After topping up system to just over 1 bar the system tends to gradually fall back to zero. The drop in pressure starts to appear noticeable after 45mins or so.Eventually it drops to zero after approx 4 hours.
3. Yes a new radiator has been added to the system in the last week. Whilst this would initially stand out as a reason there is no evidence of water appearing anywhere near this radiator or between the radiator and the boiler. I would have thought that water would feel through the skirting board if this was a problem.
4. The system has historically needed topping up every 3 weeks or so. In that time it would drop from one bar to 0.5 bar. Recently the tooping up has been required more frequently.
5. The heating is firing up no problem. The rate at which the pressure drops seems to be SLIGHTLY more quickly when the system is idle.
6. An occasional drop of water can be felt at the site of the pressure relief valve outside.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back