falling water level in toilet bowl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Over the last week or so our downstairs toilet water level in the bottom of the bowl has dropped significantly.

It's ok when you first flush but go back an hour later and there is little to no water left apart from a small puddle and we've started getting some rather pongy smells coming up.

The toilet doesn't appear to be cracked or leaking, i've checked all around the base and there is no water or signs of water anywhere and the porcelain looks perfect.

I've looked for a vent pipe as I've read that may be a reason but our downstairs toilet appears to go straight into the sewer and there is no vent pipe that I can see anywhere.

Any ideas why this might be happening? The toilet has been in for over 25 years and it's never done this before. We've had no plumbing work done in years either....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kelly

Sponsored Links
sorry for my ignorance here but why would a blockage cause the water in the bowl to have gone down so much? I would have assumed the opposite, water levels rising in bowl due to knowhere for the water to escape too?

Sponsored Links
Rising water in bowl = blocked bowl outlet . Low water = blocked drain somewhere down the line . It`s as mysterious as E=Mc2 ;)

Hey guys,

thanks for the replies. I've had the manhole cover up and the drain looks to be clear. As soon as you flush the toilet you can see the water pouring down into the sewer pipe.

We've had a guy from Thames Water out this morning to have a look and he's suggested this could be due to a cracked toilet, but surely there would be water flooding the toilet floor wouldn't there. As said i've checked all round the toilet and there's not a drop of water anywhere.

Cheers

Kelly

Rising water in bowl = blocked bowl outlet . Low water = blocked drain** somewhere down the line **. It`s as mysterious as E=Mc2 ;)
Probably at the interceptor trap further down . If the manhole you looked in is near the toilet and is not likely to be walked on - then leave the lid up a fraction with a piece of wood , make sure it won`t drop into the drain :idea: That way the pressure/vacuum in the drain will be vented - then if your toilet works properly . you`re back to a blockage somewhere down the line ;)

Hi.

Try Nige F's post above first and if it's still doing that, check out below,

What is the floor made of? Wooden or concrete?

How much water left after 1 hour?

Dry the pan out and check for hairline crack.

Dan.

Hey guys,

Well we've had everything checked now, had South East Waters sewage team out to investigate and they're none the wise either.

They cheked the toilet and nothing wrong with that, no cracks or blockages. They've had the man hole up near the toilet and the one in the street and nothing is blocked, it's all flowing nicely.

We called our neighbours and they have seen a drop in their water level in the toilet too over the last couple of weeks, but again drains have all been checked today and nothing untoward.

We're stumped....

The water usually sits about 4 inches deep (approx) in the bottom of the loo, and is this deep when the toilet has just been flushed. Leave it an hour and the water is about an inch and a bit deep at the bottom of the pan.

The toilet is on a concrete floor and has wood laminate flooring laid over that. We've checked out under the laminate and it's bone dry under there.

It's a mystery for sure....

Or, a piece of rag/paper-towel/whatever ,'hanging' over the outlet of the trap n the WC pan, acting as a wick and sending water over and away. Heard of it, never been able to prove it.

Silly question, have you tried to put a small mirror in the base of the bowl, shone a torch on it and had a goosey at 'what lies beneath'? In my day real men would just spit on their fingers and have a good grope Oooh-er missus. Then eat their sarnies.... ah, the good old days.

DH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back