False Alarm of Kitchen PIR, possible causes ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks we have the Yale 6400 wireless system in our home.

It's been up and running for 3 weeks now without an issue...until last night that was.

At night we arm downstairs when we are upstairs in bed, this morning a 0230hrs we were woken by the Alarm system going off. Upon further investigation by checking the system log info it was the kitchen PIR that went into alarm. This was an actual alarm trigger, not fault or tamper issue.

A couple of things that were different in the kitchen last night that we think may have been the root cause.

My wife left a very large pot of soup on the hob cooling over night, this would have been dropping in temperature all night from boiling to ambient. Could this have tricked the PIR into alarming ?

An outside chance but my Iphone was charging on the kitchen worktop overnight, this is not the usuall place I charge my phone.

My wife is freaking out as I work a mixture of 12hr days and 12hr nights, If she were to get an alarm at night when I'm at work she'd be in a right state.

It would be good to get to the bottom of this for her sake.

If anyone thinks it could simply just be a dodgy PIR I'll replace it in an instant.

Thanks for your time and possible input :)

Sponsored Links
Have you got a cat?

Where is the sensor pointing? E.g. at cooker, window?

What is the potential point of entry in the kitchen? Door? Window?

You can certainly swap that sensor for another in the house if you suspect a fault (unlikelt).

What make of batteries, and how old? Avoid duracell.

As I understand it a pir reacts to changes in temperature a hot body moving across the room, it is advised not to fit them where they can detect heat from radiators or in conservatories.

I think your hot soup idea is right I would think about changing the pir for a shock sensor on the window instead.

P.S.
Oh and check a spider has not decided the unit will make a comfortable home, any pir that thinks a 20 ft spider is crossing the room has a tendency to panic!

Have you got a cat?

Where is the sensor pointing? E.g. at cooker, window?

What is the potential point of entry in the kitchen? Door? Window?

You can certainly swap that sensor for another in the house if you suspect a fault (unlikelt).

What make of batteries, and how old? Avoid duracell.

No Pets (That I know about)

The sensor points to a Gas Hob, doorway, double Oven.

Potential Point of entry for kitchen is window and rear door, the door is protected with a contact.

The system was bought approx 4 weeks ago and has been running 3 weeks, the batteries in use are those supplied with the Premium Kit, sorry no idea of make.

As I understand it a pir reacts to changes in temperature a hot body moving across the room, it is advised not to fit them where they can detect heat from radiators or in conservatories.

I think your hot soup idea is right I would think about changing the pir for a shock sensor on the window instead.

The radiator shouldn't be an issue at the time the alarm went off I'd have thought, the heating had been off for approx 4 hours and the Rad's location is not directly below.

If the cooling large pot of soup was the possible issue rather than removing the PIR altogether, wouldn't I be better just banning my wife from making soup at 8.30 in the evening ?

Sponsored Links
If the potential point of entry is the window, try to position the PIR so it is looking across (not at) the window, and not pointing at the the cooker or the radiator. It should not point at the door with the sensor in case both are triggered at the same time.

you shouldn't need to restrict your household activities

If the potential point of entry is the window, try to position the PIR so it is looking across (not at) the window, and not pointing at the the cooker or the radiator. It should not point at the door with the sensor in case both are triggered at the same time.

you shouldn't need to restrict your household activities

Thanks John

I'll reposition the sensor as you suggest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back