False chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of decorating the lounge, and "the misses" wants a false chimney breast to house the flat screen TV etc. The build is easy enough, framing out of 3"x 2" and I was going to use MDF to enclose the frame for strength.

My query is this. I want to paper the breast with a decent grade lining paper, as I am doing with the walls. Should I get a plasterer to skim it first, indeed can they skim over MDF at all? Otherwise, can I paper directly on to the MDF? I'm anxious not to see end joints anywhere.

Your assistance, as usual, is invaluable and appreciated.

Sponsored Links
why bother with m.d.f. at all.

fix the 3"x2" framework, then drywall screw plasterboard directly to the framing. you can then bead, scrim and skim or mud the joints and nail heads and paper direct.

set the upright studs at 450mm centres, with maybe a nogging at mid span.

Thanks for the advice. Under normal circumstances i'd use plasterboard, but it's got to support a heavy TV so I thought MDF would give far more strength.

Sponsored Links
In that case put noggins in before you plaster board, then you know you've got a good fixing. MDF is not the best for holding screws for a heavy-ish objected,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back