fan isolator with flex outlet

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have been refurbing a cloakroom (not a bathroom) and have changed the on-off fan for a timed one, running a 3C+E from the light fitting. The conduit and boxes are now plastered in and tiled. I got a 3p fan isolator and find that unlike modern FCUs, it does not have provision for a flex outlet. I just have a single backbox adjacent to the fan and it would be very tiresome to break out tiles and add an extra box. The ceiling has been replastered so it would be sad to send an extra cable down.

Does anyone know a 3p isolator with provision for flex? I have looked at my usual source and various others.

Sponsored Links
Original post was suggesting using a dp switch on both the line conductors, assuming it was your own house and polarity is correct etc

Last edited:
I got a 3p fan isolator and find that unlike modern FCUs, it does not have provision for a flex outlet.
Why on earth should it need one? Surely all of the cables should be concealed?

Are we to take it that if you had found one, you'd have concealed 3C&E from the light to the backbox of the 3P isolator, and then a flex coming out of the front to go to the fan? :confused:

I just have a single backbox adjacent to the fan and it would be very tiresome to break out tiles and add an extra box.
Why does the lack of a flex outlet mean you need an extra box? You have one with the isolator in - what would the extra one be for? :confused:

The ceiling has been replastered so it would be sad to send an extra cable down.
What would the extra cable be for? :confused:

I have to say I cannot begin to imagine what you have done, or how not having a flex outlet means extra boxes and cables.

Sponsored Links
Oops didn't see any other acknowledgement of my post so I didn't think to check

For reference some of the thicker plates allow space to cut and file a groove to allow bottom flex outlet, obviously there is no cable restraint so not ideal

Ta

I'll take a look tomorrow. It's 3 metres off the floor so out of casual reach, with 3 inches of exposed flex, and a 30mm box, so I could probably find room for a cord grip behind.

you're not able to help, then.

Best you go and do something else.
You are right.

If you write things which make no sense, and refuse to explain them when asked, there is nothing I can do.

Except maybe to wonder why on earth you deliberately chose to do things which make no sense.

If only 3 inch could you carefully drill up behind the tile for the flex

I imagine the wall with the fan on it is an outside cavity wall, so presumably the cable could run down there, with all requirements met of course..............

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back