Fan not running on Buderus boiler (Err Code 3L)

Why is that fan guard missing....has it cooked? There was a recall on these for electrode seals failing.

Sponsored Links
Why is that fan guard missing....has it cooked? There was a recall on these for electrode seals failing.
The only "guard" on it was a plastic "spider web"-type cowling which I snipped off last night as I kept having to spin the fan to get the boiler going and I didn't want to have to keep sticking tools through the cowling to try and spin the back of the fan. I've seen new fans on the net with a full cover over the back but mine has never had that. I've only been in the property since 2010 so all I know is that the boiler is at least 6 years old. Thanks :)

I remember Buderus being very highly spoken about on here some years back - ChrisR I believe championed them.

One of their main usp's was their design - they could be stripped in very short time. And they were claimed to possess that legendary Dutch quality.

So how, in the real world, did they fall from grace? Were they phased out by WorcesterBosch, whose own boilers were inferior to their underling?

This Dutch and German quality thing is just a myth. They have produced and continue to manufacture some of the worst products. Unfortunately they always get a favourable press as no journalists will tell the truth for fear of being sidelined. Those of us in the trade know of course.

Sponsored Links
Those of us in the trade know of course.

I know this is slightly "off topic" but my wife and I have decided to take the plunge and just buy a new boiler. The Buderus is on it's last legs anyway.

Would you mind if I asked you for a recommendation or two of makes/types to look out for?

I need a combi boiler. Our house has 10 radiators/towel rails etc (if that matters?).

Would welcome opinions on this :)

** EDIT ** I've done a bit of digging on t'internet and found this Baxi Combi Platinum (http://www.baxi.co.uk/gas-boilers/combi/platinum.htm) I'm thinking of the 40KW one as our existing boiler is under-powered (we have to have the bath tap running slow in order to keep the water hot - if we put the tap on full the water goes tepid). Anyone got anything good or bad to say about this? (Happy to make a new thread if needed).

Last edited:
Depends what you want...no boilers are that wonderful anymore.

But if you want...
Good manufacturer backup
Reasonable priced spares when the warranty runs out
Good spares availabity
A warranty that the manufacturer doesn't quibble over
A boiler with a good track record

Go for a Worcester CDi Classic...should give 15 years at least.

They're not nice to work on but you can't go far wrong.

have the meds worn off again?

Equipment cooling fan from supplier of the equipment cost £ 175.00 +VAT and free delivery
The identical fan purchased directly from the fan manufacturer £52.00 + p&p + VAT

Like wise for the fan in a boiler about 12 years ago, from the boiler manufacturer about 2 to 3 times the price. And the fan purchased from the fan manufacturer had ball bearings, the one from the boiler manufacturer had only sleeve bearings so the expected life of the lower cost option was much longer. Savings that the technician passed onto his customers.

Thanks for the tips re: boiler type. I suppose it's like asking what's the best car or what's the best operating system! However, I'll look into Intergas and I've obviously heard of Worcester (although I had heard that Worcester were now employing cheap parts and were expensive - basically just riding on their good rep?).

Thanks again for everyone's help :)

You could be spoilt for choice

http://www.gotogasdocs.co.uk/manufacturers ( some of those listed are manufacturers of controls and not boilers )

Equipment can be sold :-

1/ on it's manufacturer's good reputation
2/ by advertisments aimed at the public
3/ by recommedation of the installer ( who may have connections with the manufacturer they recommend )

At the risk of triggering a few comments. My boiler is a Johnson and Starley, my choice . Works well, the RGI who installed it was a bit dubious at first but now considers it a very good boiler

Thanks for the tips re: boiler type. I suppose it's like asking what's the best car or what's the best operating system! However, I'll look into Intergas and I've obviously heard of Worcester (although I had heard that Worcester were now employing cheap parts and were expensive - basically just riding on their good rep?).

Thanks again for everyone's help :)
Intergas are very well built boilers, much simplified over other combi boilers and also still made of metal - Worcester are increasingly using plastic which just doesn't last as long. They claim it's as durable, but when I had to replace a pinholed hydraulic block on one a couple of weeks ago the merchants had eight in stock which is a measure of how many they must sell - they don't stock many spares that aren't sold regularly! 10 year warranty on an Intergas ECO RF

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back