Farmer has cut my mains supply pipe!!!

Sponsored Links
see my previous post...he wants the pipe orf his land!!!!
All the more reason for him to stay on good terms with everybody and cooperate. As there are half a dozen parties involved, it will be extremely difficult, timeconsuming and costly for him to get it changed the hard way. If he can force the issue at all; by accepting the existing situation for years, he probably created quid pro quo consent.

Then it's the water supliers job to install a new pipe.
Might be a long wait though so probably best to stay friends with the farmer if you don't want the supply chopped again. :rolleyes:

You could always sink a well in you're back garden in the mean time for back up. :LOL:[/quote]

The supplier is only responsible up to the stop at the end of the communication pipe...why would the water supplier fit a new supply pipe gratis???

Norcon..so shall I hire an excavator and start digging up the tarmac road next to my house which is where the landowner wants me to put it? I am sure the Highways Authorities

If its a public highway and you're not prepared to dig the trench then its up to the water authority involved.

The supplier is only responsible up to the stop at the end of the communication pipe

Yes I know.

Sponsored Links
Norcon..so shall I hire an excavator and start digging up the tarmac road next to my house which is where the landowner wants me to put it? I am sure the Highways Authorities

If its a public highway and you're not prepared to dig the trench then its up to the water authority involved.

The supplier is only responsible up to the stop at the end of the communication pipe

Yes I know.

If you had read my earlier post properly it was quite clear that I am being expected to relay the mains pipe on a public highway at my expense. Why are you wasting time stating the obvious and/or making unhelpful or sarcastic posts??

Can't see the problem.

The farmer when he sold the property would have included the water supply etc.

Therefore if he has damaged the supply he is responsible for the repair.

Therefore if he has damaged the supply he is responsible for the repair

He has repaired the pipe but the OP is now kicking up a fuss about how he has repaired it and wants the farmer to relay the pipe at his expense.
The farmer now wants the pipe removed.
result = stalemate

He has repaired the pipe but the OP is now kicking up a fuss about how he has repaired it and wants the farmer to relay the pipe at his expense.
result = stalemate

The farmer has made an above ground repair, clearly unacceptable as even you may agree.

The pipe is legally installed in the landowners field, if the farmer want's it moved then he has to pay the cost.

According to the water company it is the responsibilty of the property owner using the private pipework. ie, moi. When I bought the property the seller said that he was not aware of any mains pipework crossed any neighbouring property and I assumed that my solicitor as part of the usual searches would have advised me if there had been any issues with regard to the mains supply pipe. I am pursuing this issue with them as we speak.

The farmer is saying to me that it was an accident and a temporary repair has been effected (which is not acceptable to the water supplier as a permanent repair) however it is my responsibility to permanently relocate the pipe.

The irony is that it was the farmer who installed the pipe originally. All I am trying to do is establish at what point in time did the ownership of the pipe "transfer" to me.

The farmer has made an above ground repair, clearly unacceptable as even you may agree.

A plough ripped it up so a spade will dig a small trench to lower it.
Will hardly cost thousands to do this. The OP could have it done in the time he has spent on this forum.

The pipe is legally installed in the landowners field, if the farmer want's it moved then he has to pay the cost

The farmer has no legal obligation what so ever to relay the pipe at his cost in this instance.
If it is causing an obstruction in his field (which it clearly is) then he can rip it out. It would be a danger to horses and other livestock and I would rip it out asap.

result = stalemate

Quite justifiably "kicking up a fuss" because if you were happily battling the recession and then through no fault of your own are presented with the possibility of facing a very expensive repair because someone has damaged "your property".

A plough ripped it up so a spade will dig a small trench to lower it.
Will hardly cost thousands to do this. The OP could have it done in the time he has spent on this forum.

The pipe is legally installed in the landowners field, if the farmer want's it moved then he has to pay the cost

The farmer has no legal obligation what so ever to relay the pipe at his cost in this inatance.
If it is causing an obstruction in his field (which it clearly is) then he can rip it out. It would be a danger to horses and other livestock and I would rip it out asap.

And you would get your ass sued big time.

I have an electric post on my property.

Can I chop it down :rolleyes:

of facing a very expensive repair because someone has damaged "your property".

Where has it been deemed that the pipe is your property?

Norcon is talking out of his proverbial....there is about 25 metres of "surface pipework" which I would have to bury in heavy Essex clay only to be told by the water supplier and farmer that it would require a permant solution.

If it is causing an obstruction in his field (which it clearly is) then he can rip it out. .
No he can not, not legally that is.
By leaving it this long he has created a quid pro quo concession; quite legal.
Even if he hadn't, he can't take the law into his own hand; if you drag a car off your drive, even if it is signposted to be private property, and you damage it, you pay for it. This is England, not some third world anarchy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back