Farmer has cut my mains supply pipe!!!

And you would get your ass sued big time.

I have an electric post on my property.

Can I chop it down

Try reading the opening post. Its not a water authorities pipe.
It has been strewn across the ground just below the topsoil probably with a spade.
I have pipes like that running through my fields.
Its the farmers property and he can do what he like with it especially if its endangering livestock.

Sponsored Links

Can I chop it down

It has been strewn across the ground just below the topsoil probably with a spade.
Its the farmers property and he can do what he like with it especially if its endangering livestock.

So if its the farmers property then he is responsible for the permanent repair??

Can I chop it down

So if its the farmers property then he is responsible for the permanent repair??

Exactly.

The landowner, has agreed to supply water to the properties when they were sold.

Sponsored Links

Yes - if you accept how he has repaired the pipe presently.
No - if you think the pipe should be relaid at his expense.
If I had a neighbour like you I would pull it out citing that the pipe was endangering livestock and would prohibit access to my lands for any pipe relaying.

If I had a neighbour like you I would pull it out citing that the pipe was endangering livestock and would prohibit access to my lands for any pipe relaying.

And as I said, there are Laws and you would get your ass sued.

If this pipe was through my land I would rip it up completely and leave the houses with no water.
I would then re-direct the water to animal troughs as was originally intended as I would deem the pipe my property.
The house holders could then look about supplying their own water and not from across my land.
Access would be forbidden!
(Im a land owner btw)

This was your original post Norcon.....if I had a neighbour like you I would warn all dog owners in the village to keep their pets well tethered cos any resultant "sheep-worrying" would inevitably end up with poor Fido having both barrels emptied into him.........by the way what farmer ploughs a field with livestock in it.....

I think we are starting to get to the bottom of this.

The farmer had no intention of requiring the pipe to be removed until his nasty neighbour kicked up a fuss about a perfectly fitted pipe joint.
Ok so the pipe is pulled up out of the ground a bit when he ploughed it up.
But can someone be so lazy as not to want to help the farmer lower the pipe ( which incidentally would cost very little) that is supplying his water but instead issues him with solicitors letters costing hundreds of pounds demanding him to relay the entire pipe at his expense.

Now the farmer has told him to remove the pipe asap. :LOL:

I think we are starting to get to the bottom of this.

The farmer had no intention of requiring the pipe to be removed until his nasty neighbour kicked up a fuss about a perfectly fitted pipe joint.
Ok so the pipe is pulled up out of the ground a bit when he ploughed it up.
But can someone be so lazy as not to want to help the farmer lower the pipe ( which incidentally would cost very little) that is supplying his water but instead issues him with solicitors letters costing hundreds of pounds demanding him to relay the entire pipe at his expense.

Now the farmer has told him to remove the pipe asap. :LOL:

.....again if you had read my first post properly it was the farmer who involved the loss adjuster and is insisting that I replace the pipe 9and according to you I cant do this cos it aint my property). Despite the fact that on "repair"I had half the field going through my plat hex, mains pressure shower and cistern float valve I was happy to let it lie. It was the farmer who involved the legal lot cos he wants to cover his ar#se and let some other unfortunate pick up the bill for his vandalism.....

It was the farmer who involved the legal lot cos he wants to cover his ar#se and let some other unfortunate pick up the bill for his vandalism.....

AAh so we are not hearing the full story yet. As always there are two sides of the coin involved here and we are only hearing from one.

Whom (other than yourself) has instigated proceedings that has left the farmer being presented with a bill for this "so called" vandalism?

How much does an MDPE pipe coupler cost these days?
Thousands? :rolleyes:
And why do you think the farmer needs to cover his arse?

What is wrong with you?? How many times do I have try to communicate in simple terms to you that THERE IS NO BILL and nobody BUT THE FARMER has instigated any legal proceedings.

But thanks for all your really helpful posts!!!

Fair enough. Im convinced now (I think)
Sounds like the landowner is being unreasonable. But you should try and reason with him and avoid solicitors. (as someone earlier mentioned)

If the land had only just been ploughed than that was the time to trench and relay the pipe properly.
An amicable solution should be possible with backing ( financial or otherwise) from the other neighbours.

Share the cost, ask the farmer to dig the trench and you will re-lay the pipe.

BTW isn't there a deemed wayleave or something if it has been there a long time? Therefore your pipe but he damaged it, so he repairs it which also includes reburying it to a safe depth.

What a lot of fuss about nothing.

Either:

1. There is a wayleave, and you therefore have a right to run the pipe along the same route.

2. There is no wayleave, and you have no proof that the farmer knew about the pipe that you say he himself laid, and you have no right at all.

Only a professional legal advisor will be able to look at your situation and help you determine the best way forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back