Farmer has cut my mains supply pipe!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents

Usually post on CC but given nature of my current problem thought I'd share my woes with a wider audience!

Now, I live next to a field and when the farmer was ploughing it he cut through my mains water supply. He has cobbled together a temporary MDPE repair with the mains pipe now sort of "surface mounted". Very rich landowner then (farmer rents the field) tells me that the mains pipe is a "private supply" and whilst it was a "regrettable accident" the permanent repair of the pipe is my responsibility.

The water supplier stop tap is located circa 150 yards away from my house (incidentally there is no stop tap at the boundary of my house with the supply pipe teeing off the mains...I've already had the water company diviner over to prove this!)

I have received a letter from a Loss Adjuster (representing the farmer's insurance company) stating:-

"It is our view that the pipe was shallow and its position was clearly unknown to our Principal's Insured (farmer). When the pipe was laid we doubt that any regulatory enforcement would have applied to the required cover at which it was laid and inevitably the topology of the land will have altered." The loss adjuster uses lots of suppositions/assumptions and uses words such as "doubt", "we believe" "likely" "appears" "indicative" etc without establishing any facts.

They go on to say that basically that it was not the farmers fault, he had no knowledge of the pipe and as it is a private supply serving my house then it is my responsibility to have it permanently repaired and "re-routed" (the pipe is buried in the farmers field and they are saying that it should be relaid in the lane next to my house).

Having spoken with my neighbours (who share this supply) this private supply pipe was laid originally by the landowner for cattle troughs and to serve the house in which I live (it is an old farm labourers cottage). So, rich landowner knows this (farm has been in family for generations) and is pretending that he doesn't know anything about this. It is clear that the pipe was laid originally by the farmer and over the passage of time the houses in my lane have passed into the private sector.

Now, I am currently looking into my legal position as I am rightly concerned that re-routing of this pipework is gonna cost a huge amount of money. Morally (and I know that this counts for the square root of jack sh*t) the farmer has caused the damage and is now spinning the ball out to the wings a bit sharpish and is trying to cover his jacksey with the loss adjuster's letter and I think that given the history of the pipe the landowner should effect its permanent repair.

Sorry for the length of this post (I am sure that some will have given up the will to live before reaching the end!) but any views/similar experiences would be welcomed....I feel like the poor serf being trampled on by the big bad local squire)........ :(

Sponsored Links
The pipe is "yours" as it is between the house and the streetvalve.
I am not a lawyer, but I reckon it is the responsibility of the freeholder.

However, if you park your car blatantly illegally, and cause a danger, if I crash into it, I still have to pay for the damage.

Not entirely sure if the farmer is expected to check for wrongly installed waterpipes though.

Ignore the nonsense of his lawyers, it's their job to try and bluff you.
If you canprove the freeholder had the pipe installed, send him a short and polite letter demanding he sorts out the situation, and that you hold him responsible for all current and future costs.

DO NOT STATE ANY REASONS! The last thing you want to do is show him your strategy.

You may want to ask yourself if is worth legal bills, as correcting of the situation probably won't cost a whole lot of money.

There must be something in the deeds of your house about this pipe and who is responsible for its maintenance. As the pipe serves several houses, everybody concerned should get onto their solicitors and insurance companies.

Sponsored Links
Why not breed locusts in your out house and when his crops are in full bloom, release the hungry insects................'a regrettable accident'.

Im a nasty piece of work and would proberbly take an axe to his electricity supply if he didnt sort out his error.

But like I say, im a nasty piece of work!

There must be something in the deeds of your house about this pipe and who is responsible for its maintenance.

Since it is clearly wrongly installed, it is likely that it was not installed legally, which makes it rather unlikely it is accurately noted in the deeds, if at all.

As the pipe serves several houses, everybody concerned should get onto their solicitors and insurance companies.

That's really clever advice; let's all hire separate lawyers and pay them all a couple of hundred quid an hour to all do the same thing. :rolleyes:
The lot of them can than spend hours and hours on a number of things that can be bounced around almost endlessly, creating a collective legal bill in the tens of thousands, for a job that can be done for a couple of hundred each.

If this pipe was through my land I would rip it up completely and leave the houses with no water.
I would then re-direct the water to animal troughs as was originally intended as I would deem the pipe my property.
The house holders could then look about supplying their own water and not from across my land.
Access would be forbidden!
(Im a land owner btw)

HarrogateGas I'm :LOL: ....

Bengasman - you have picked up on the point I am trying to make to the evil squire, ie. it was he (or his noble forebears) who installed the pipework originally. He knows this and I know this but he has placed the burden of proof on us.

I spoke to the supplier who advised that "they do not hold any paperwork regarding the installation of this private supply". When the pipe was installed I have no doubts that there must have been some written agreement between the landowner and the supplier as you can't just tee a private supply off the mains supply without formal agreements being entered into.

The problem is that the landowner does not want this private supply pipe on his land and wants it moved at our expense to the road next to our property. The length of this supply pipe is around 150 yards to the supplier stop tap so it would be a job that could costs thouasands!!

The length of this supply pipe is around 150 yards to the supplier stop tap so it would be a job that could costs thouasands!!

An excavator would dig this in about 2 hours. The pipe and valves will cost around £500 maximum.
Whats the big deal? You have neighbours so share the cost. A couple of hundred quid at most.
Do you think involving solicitors will be cheaper?
He fixed the pipe. Think your self lucky.

When the property was split from ownership from the land all this should have been covered in the legal gumf. Have you checked your deeds? if there is no mention of it I suspect it will be legal mindfield. Personally I would write back explaining that they damaged it they pay for it.simple. See what comes of it. I'm with harrogate to some extent. If they make my life difficult i'd respond accordingly ;)

Norcon..so shall I hire an excavator and start digging up the tarmac road next to my house which is where the landowner wants me to put it? I am sure the Highways Authorities, Parish Council, Police, Borough Council etc etc would turn a blind eye and I few strategically placed traffic cones would facilitate your suggested solution.....I reckon I'd get change out of £500, a banner headline in the Sun and a custodial sentence......gordon bennett.

Bengasman - you have picked up on the point I am trying to make to the evil squire, ie. it was he (or his noble forebears) who installed the pipework originally. He knows this and I know this but he has placed the burden of proof on us.

When challenging in court, the onus is always on you

I spoke to the supplier who advised that "they do not hold any paperwork regarding the installation of this private supply". When the pipe was installed I have no doubts that there must have been some written agreement between the landowner and the supplier

I wouldn't count on it, but more importantly, it is irrelevant.

as you can't just tee a private supply off the mains supply without formal agreements being entered into.

Yes you can.

The problem is that the landowner does not want this private supply pipe on his land and wants it moved at our expense to the road next to our property.

Make him an offer he can't refuse.

The length of this supply pipe is around 150 yards to the supplier stop tap so it would be a job that could costs thouasands!!

Nonsense. Farmer wants to solve the problem so he will use his tractor to dig the 200 metres of trench when he's got a couple of hours spare. Landowner wants the pipe off the land (as it should be); offer to pay all the cost bar the watersupplier's bill for connection, he'd by a fool to say no.
Spread the cost of materials between the cottages; couple of hundred quid each.
Being pragmatic is ofter quicker and cheaper than being dogmatic.

Norcon..so shall I hire an excavator and start digging up the tarmac road next to my house which is where the landowner wants me to put it? I am sure the Highways Authorities, Parish Council, Police, Borough Council etc etc would turn a blind eye and I few strategically placed traffic cones would facilitate your suggested solution.....I reckon I'd get change out of £500, a banner headline in the Sun and a custodial sentence......gordon bennett.

Then it's the water supliers job to install a new pipe.
Might be a long wait though so probably best to stay friends with the farmer if you don't want the supply chopped again. :rolleyes:

You could always sink a well in you're back garden in the mean time for back up. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back