Fascia and soffit advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Can I have a bit of advice please? We thinking of replacing soffit and fascia board after a incident with a squirrel gaining access to loft area and creating damage. On inspecting boards, there is lot of holes and chewing holes, dropped tiles. House is 1930 semi.

Can I fit fascia and soffit boards over existing one? Like what I saw next door.
Is there anything extra I need to fit, vent or anything?

I don't want to work on a ladder, not feeling safe so how much do it normally cost for a scaffolding and is that a fixed price or per day?

We are not doing anything to roof yet, too costly, has no underfelt but still watertight, only to refix dropped tiles at bottom. Just enough to stop those little critters getting in.

Is there anything I should watch out? We haven't inspect bay window roof yet ( inaccessible )

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
You get different thicknesses of upvc fascia. The thin one is supposed to "overboard" as you suggest, but if you have any rot on the existing timber fascia then you are in effect hiding it, so you won't know if/when it has gotten through to the main joist ends. Best to remove all the old and fit new thick upvc. Also if you decide to overboard remember the finished face will be, say, 9mm "prouder" than your neighbour's, so it'll probably give you problems joining your gutter to theirs.

Many thanks.

So if the old fascia is sound and rot free, it should be okay to overboard? If I need to remove it, and use thick one, what do I use to fit to rafters?

Next door has fascia overboard existing one, he will let me know where he got it from so we can match it.

Is there anything to go between tiles and top of fascia?

Daniel.

New fascia is nailed to joists using white capped nails. Nothing at the top, just fix same height as existing.

Sponsored Links
if you are going to the trouble/cost of scaffolding then i would replace definately, saying that i would never overboard (my opinion). check online how to do it properly and be careful when buying your materials as you can easily pay too much at trade counters. you can fit vents to the top of the fascias to hide them, also check out eaves trays and bird comb (certain tiles). Also depending on which soffits you prefer, just remember hollow soffit boards are a lot cheaper than multi purpose flat board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back