Fascia boards: softwood replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of patching up my fascia boards. There are a few rotten patches where I plan to cut back to sound wood & replace. (Hopefully this cheapo option will extend their life for a few years).

Question: Will softwood + undercoat + external gloss be OK? Or should I use sawn treated wood, which has a rougher surface, + paint?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
If you can be bothered you should use larch or douglas fir, these are far more durable than other woods.

Next, the paint, stop thinking of alkyd or other "modern" paints. If you want lots of work and rotting wood, then fine, otherwise look here and read about linseed oil paint. Your work load will be less, and the wood will last longer.

oilman said:
If you can be bothered you should use larch or douglas fir, these are far more durable than other woods.

Are these stocked in B&Q/Wickes ?

Mike

'course they're bloody not. Do you want to the job properly so it will last, or a cheap crap job worthy of a cowboy botcher. Try a timber yard, and don't be put off by some git who tells you "Uh you wot? Just can't get it mate".

Sponsored Links
Hmmm..........er......pots and kettles?
large-smiley-051.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back