Materials for rotten fascia board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some advice. About to replace a couple of rotten fascia boards. Current boards are 170 x 20 and I can't seem to find any boards this width. Can't stretch to full upvc replacement at the moment. I was wondering whether to use WBP ply and cut to appropriate width, but was a bit worried that the edges would fragment a bit and make painting difficult. Opinions would be appreciated.
MrH
:?:

Sponsored Links
It would work out cheaper to replace with PVC lengths, esp if you intend full replacement in the future.

3/4" Ply is often ripped to gain such dimensions, pre-paint and install. Timber yards will rip for you.

While you are up there, sand, and u/coat and top coat all work areas that are already painted.
Any rotten rafter tails then come back here.

Research installation on here, and if you are over 2 stories dont attempt it.

7x1" planed from your woodyard will be around 165mmx20mm

Thank you for that. Luckily access is really good as its above a garage. Just hadn't imagined it difficult to find correct size material.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Do it in plastic, think of the time and money you will save not buying and painting all the new facia boards.

Andy

I intend to do it in plastic, next year. It's a 4 bed detached so even DIY its a good 5-600 pound for materials. I've just come down from I day up on the roof. Took much longer than first expected. Replace about 3m of fascia and soffit. All joist ends ok bar one. A touch of woodworm! Cut it back to clean wood and treated this and surrounding areas either side. Primed and under coated before attaching new wood. Complete with eaves tray and bird comb stuff. Bit more painting to do then job done. Oh apart from painting the rest of the house to match!
Pleased I did it myself, I imagine that some builders would have just ignored the one rotting joist end and I could have caused a bigger problem for the future. Lets hope I caught everything in time.!

Is that genuine woodworm or just wet rot thats dried out, do you think?
If its the beetle, do look carefully at the surrounding areas, and give it a good spray just to make sure!
Is it an older property?
John :)

House is 30 years old. One joist end all crumbly on the last 4inchs. Its the same postion where the Fascia was rotten. There was a number of woodworm holes 6 inches either side. All the other joist ends look like new, so I hope it was just down to an area of water ingress. I have cut the joist end off (only extends to hold fascia) and created a new extention bit to nail fascia on to. I also drenched the area and surrounding with cuprinol woodworm treatment and reasembled. Hopefully this will be a good result.

I will revist roofline tonight as I think that original water ingress may be a bit of blow back under lead flashing around the chimney breast.

5-6k for materials sounds a bit steep, try shopping about, get written quotes and show other places and theyll beat them, get scaffolding and get it done yourself. guesstimating a 4 bed det in white, would be around 1500 for materials and depending on house anything from 900-2k for scaffolding

Materials about £600. Not £6000. I will be doing it myself at some point but I've just replaced Tudor boards on the front over the last few weekends and with work and two young child, I'm knackering and don't want to start any more big projects yet. So it's now time to put second coat of undercoat on my new bits of fascia, then at 10am school fayre! I guess like many people DIY not a problem, time is!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back