Fascia questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A section of my fascia is coming slightly loose at each end where its been nailed into the rafters.

The board is firmly in position but there is a small amount of wiggle if you gently try to pull the board forward

You can see where the wood has split either side of the nail holes on each end of the board.

Should I just replace this with a fresh section while ive got access since the splits will probably get bigger and the board might become less secure in future? It’s a 2 m long section joined either side by longer sections.

also, where the joins are not quite perfect as seen in the second pic, should a sealant/filler be used at the joints to account for any future movement/warping if fitting a new board in place?

p.s i dont want to rip everything out and replace with pvc since its all in good conditon....just needs a bit of tlc

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
cheers guys.

Im sticking with timber.

would something like a treated redwood be ok?

are the mitered ends where the boards meet simply cut, treated and joined? No adhesive/filler required?

oh and lastly, is there a reason that fascias are not typically screwed in?
Seems like a pilot drill hole and screw might prevent the timber from splitting in future

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Treat the cut edges, no filler or glue required, just make sure you get a good fix on the joists end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back