Faulty circuit?

Decobee wrote

Don't think for a minute that I'm going to do that. For the specific uses that I have listed, it is a perfectly handy tool indeed. Do you really think I'm stupid enough to use it in a situation where I wouldn't be 100% sure?

er......... i think i touched a nerve!

:LOL: :LOL:

its just in my opinion they are unrelaible and bad news but hey, what do i know.

Sponsored Links
decobee said:
when I removed the lights of course I checked what was connected to what. I could reconnect lamps correctly any time - just don't see a point to reconnect those old dusty smelly things until I've got the new lamps.)
If having the remaining lights working is not a good enough point, then you're probably right.

why would removing lights cause other lights (and various sockets) to not work? do you always have to have a lamp connected (that sounds truly absurd to me).
Because that's the way that lighting circuits are wired up.

What makes you think it's OK for you to fiddle with your electrical installation when you don't know the most basic things about how it works?

Why were you not prepared to invest just a few hours of your time to learn about it first?

so what do you do with lose wires while you're working?
Not have them.

Because there weren't any 'basic' problems before I started stripping the place.
Yes there were.

PS: Your last post says it all. You do not know enough to know what is right or wrong.
I never pretended I did. Read my very first post. It's not those who ask that are stupid, but those who don't (as you rightly pointed out).
And they come second to those who ask, and then refuse to do what they are told by people who know more than them because they don't like what they are being told.

and throw this in the deepest pond you can find!
Don't think for a minute that I'm going to do that.
Like that, for example.

Do you really think I'm stupid enough to use it in a situation where I wouldn't be 100% sure?
How can I put this?
err....
Yes.

Sponsored Links
Sorry! Missed someone elses observations....

[Puts on coat]

industryspark said:
Decobee wrote

Don't think for a minute that I'm going to do that. For the specific uses that I have listed, it is a perfectly handy tool indeed. Do you really think I'm stupid enough to use it in a situation where I wouldn't be 100% sure?

er......... i think i touched a nerve!

:LOL: :LOL:

its just in my opinion they are unrelaible and bad news but hey, what do i know.

Sorry. You were probably right, industryspark...
I just didn't like the idea of disarming myself even more, this silly screwdriver being the only thing I have to do at least one basic thing with dreaded Electrics !!

ban-all-sheds said:
Why were you not prepared to invest just a few hours of your time to learn about it first?
Assumptions, assumptions...
And an unfair accusation. What do you think I am doing right now? I have only just started with this project (stripped wallpaper, that's about it), and believe it or not, Electrics have come up as the next thing I am dealing with. And here we are. (no, I haven't been to John Lewis choosing curtain accessories, although your tone seems to suggest so). As a matter of fact, it's been more than just a few hours of electricity research so far, and, I have to say, I feel like I've just completed a one-year electricity course. I can only repeat my sincerest thanks to all the very helpful insights and information.

By the way, both the lead as well as the other lose wire in the wall are indeed live (and I'm still alive and unscorched too).

decobee said:
I just didn't like the idea of disarming myself even more, this silly screwdriver being the only thing I have to do at least one basic thing with dreaded Electrics !!
It may be a useful screwdriver, but useful test equipment it is not.

decobee said:
ban-all-sheds said:
Assumptions, assumptions...
And an unfair accusation. What do you think I am doing right now? I have only just started with this project (stripped wallpaper, that's about it), and believe it or not, Electrics have come up as the next thing I am dealing with. And here we are. (no, I haven't been to John Lewis choosing curtain accessories, although your tone seems to suggest so). As a matter of fact, it's been more than just a few hours of electricity research so far, and, I have to say, I feel like I've just completed a one-year electricity course. I can only repeat my sincerest thanks to all the very helpful insights and information.
My point was that you should have done that first. As you now know, the way that lighting circuits are wired means that removing ceiling roses breaks the circuit, and other lights stop working - one of the problems you reported, but if you'd known that before, you would not have created that problem..

Because there weren't any 'basic' problems before I started stripping the place.
By the way, both the lead as well as the other lose wire in the wall are indeed live

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back