Faulty Hotpoint WT965 - where to start?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Yesterday our wahsing machine decided to start playing up. At lunchtime we washed our bed linen with no problems at all. Later in the day my girlfriend decided to put a towel wash on. When the machine finished she opened it and it had not washed the towels. I wasn't paying much attention to be honest - I made some noises about it probably being overloaded and advised her to take a couple of towels out. It was too late in the evening so she programed it to wash overnight.

This morning we opened the machine to find that it hadn't washed again. The two towels at the bottom of the machine were sopping wet whereas the towels at the top were dry(ish). I decided to try and get it to spin so set it off on a spin program and had a shower. When I returned the program had finished but the contents hadn't moved. I thought it might be because the towels were too heavy with water and they were causing it to be unbalanced - I took out the wet towels and tried to get it to spin with a handful of dry tea towels. No joy - but by now it was time to go to work.

Although I work in a bank, I read both of my degrees in Mechanical Engineering. I think I am competent in most things DIY but have never tackled a domestic appliance and could do with some pointers on where I start? Unfortunately I can't see the pictures in the "common faults" and "inside of a hotpoint" threads due to work internet restrictions (although I will be able to view them at home).

The machine is about 3.5 yrs old and has not been used too heavily (there is just my girlfriend and I at home). We have recently switched to using detergent blocks in a bag placed in the machine as opposed to powder in the drawer (if that makes any difference). The machine doesn't have a hot water feed.

Apologies for the essay - any help, hints or tips gratefully received.

Cheers,
Voicey.

Sponsored Links
check the belt has not come off the back,

check the belt has not come off the back,

Good call dude! I've just taken the top off and felt down the back - there is no belt on the large smooth pulley behind the drum.

There's not much access from the top and the back seems to be attached to the sides - how the hell do I get the back off?!

OK - i found the lower rear acces panel! :oops:

The belt doesn't seem long neough to be able to stretch it back over by hand (the belt is in good condition so looks like it can be re-used). The motor is held on by three bolts - I was thinking of undoing two in order to get the belt back on. Is this wise?

Sponsored Links
you got a small panel at the rear bottom
remove that and you can get to the motor pully
put the belt on that from the top then feed it over the drum pully (like fitting a chain on a cog)

lol just beat me on the bottom panel bit

you got a small panel at the rear bottom
remove that and you can get to the motor pully
put the belt on that from the top then feed it over the drum pully (like fitting a chain on a cog)

I've tried that but it is super tight! I'll give it another go and report back. Cheers....

you have to feed it over the drum pully from one side while rotating the pully

Success! Thanks for all your help guys - it is much appriciated.

I was trying to feed the belt over the pulley starting on the non-drawer side. When I tried starting the other side it went on OK - probably because the drawer side has much more restrictred access.

or you can put a large cable tie on the belt and pulley and pull it round

All sorted now - done two towel washes with no problems. I'd like to thank you guys once again and to warn people to check that they have turned the wtaer back on before pushing the machine back in place - unlike myself (doh!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back