Faulty service valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hello.
I'm having a problem with the service valve shown above. It's under the sink on 15mm cold water pipe just before an outside tap. The problem is that no water is getting through the valve. I have unscrewed the black handle to make sure it is actually turning the ball valve and it is. I have loosened the nuts at both ends, there is water at the bottom but nothing at the top. I'll probably just replace it but I can't find it on Screwfix.
So if anyone could tell me what this valve is called and where I can find one I would be very grateful. Also, why does it have a handle and a slotted thingy? Are there 2 valves inside? What's the point of that?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Non return valve, stops water say from hosepipe connected to stop tap with open end of hose left in puddle outside, creeping back and contaminating mains water, not best example but that`s what it does.

Water can flow out but can`t flow back,

by looks of it youve got a part of a central heating filling loop piece.

Might sound like a daft question but is it the right way round ? (cant make the arrow out properly in the pic)

Sponsored Links
27264369.jpg

Looks up to me.
Undo the comp connection above and shove a screwdriver in hard, till you get wet :evil:

Yes because everyone whop has their wras regs knows that a bib tap with two check valves built in does not comply with the regs have to have double check inside the property, unless replacing like for like.

Yes because everyone whop has their wras regs knows that a bib tap with two check valves built in does not comply with the regs have to have double check inside the property, unless replacing like for like.

still find that a pointless part of the regs.i do fit to the regs. but still, i find it pointless.and not mention you have to have a service valve in conjunction with the check valve.[/quote]

Anyway, op, the easiest thing to do will be to remove this fitting, fit a double check valve onto the top tail (you'll be able to reuse the compressed olive and nut in all likelihood), and then an isolator valve directly beneath it. Simpler to source these than the fitting already there. Ideally, you should fit a drainoff valve above the double check valve (which could be done by using a compression tee, then double check, then isolator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back