Suitable service/isolating valves for CH 15mm pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have ongoing work in several rooms in my house involving radiators coming off or moving, I would like to be able to fit some service valves in the 15mm legs to rads so I can shut off & drain just a small part of the system.

Can anyone recommend suitable valves for CH pipework that are not too ugly that I can mount at just above skirting level?

I bought some service valves for my hot and cold water pipes from screwfix a year of so ago and most now leak from the stem when turned with a screwdriver so I would like to find better ones for the CH.

Whats the difference between a Service valve and an Isolating valve anyway?

I did find some Pegler full bore valves rated PN16 on Screwfix that with the handles removed might look ok.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/21289/Plumbing/Pegler-Brassware/Pegler-Ball-Valve-Red-15mm

Sponsored Links
There is absolutely no point in using isolation valves for radiators, they do more harm then good.

Would you care to tell what the harm would be?

I have 15mm drops from upstairs with 2 rads on each, all of which have to come off for either repositioning or painting behind in the next few months, but not all at once.
To be able to valve off each drop one at a time would save me time and full draindowns.
As long as the valves are full bore and rated PN16 or 25 I cant quite see what harm they could cause with the handles removed.

Sponsored Links
Peglar lever valves don't leak.

You could call them zone valves in case and a very good idea, although I would suggest under the floor up stairs, to isolate the drop would be better.

It's an idea to do an as fitted drawing and leave with the boiler paperwork for future owners.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back