Isolation valve: arrow wrong way round

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted an isolation valve on the mains water feed, next to the cold water tank in the loft.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/89226/Plumbing/Brassware/Flowflex-Isolating-Valve-With-Handle-15mm

I've just noticed that I fitted it with the arrow in the wrong direction. The arrow points down to the kitchen, against the flow.

Given that this valve is fully open for 99.99% of the time, is there anything to worry about?
As I understand it, fitting an isolation valve the wrong way round may affect how efficient it is when closed.
Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Given that this valve is fully open for 99.99% of the time, is there anything to worry about?

The seal is an O ring; when fitted correctly, the water pressure presses the ball onto the O ring. When back-to-front, the water pressure pushes the ball off the O-ring, increasing the chances of a leak. i read something about it somewhere on the internet.

It's open for 99.99% of the time, the only time you need to use it is when you need to isolate the valve and that is when it may leak. I'd be inclined do it re-fit it right and give myself a stern ticking off.

More expensive ball valves have two or more seals.

The seal is an O ring; when fitted correctly, the water pressure presses the ball onto the O ring. When back-to-front, the water pressure pushes the ball off the O-ring, increasing the chances of a leak. i read something about it somewhere on the internet.

It's open for 99.99% of the time, the only time you need to use it is when you need to isolate the valve and that is when it may leak. I'd be inclined do it re-fit it right and give myself a stern ticking off.

More expensive ball valves have two or more seals.

I might replace it with something more expensive.
Maybe one of those Pegler valves, with a bigger handle. Like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13103/Plumbing/Brassware/Full-Bore-Lever-Ball-Valve-15mm

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back